LightSheer Vs. GentleLASE - What's the Difference?

Lightsheer and GentleLASE are two brand names of laser hair removal treatments - I get that.  What I don't get is the difference between two.  How do I know which one is better?

GentleLase and Lightsheer- Both excellent hair removal options

+4

The GentleLase and Lighsheer are both very effective, and popular, hair removal lasers. 

The GentleLase (755nm long-pulsed Alexandrite laser) is a very effective laser for hair removal in lighter skin types.  It has excellent pick up by melanin (skin and hair pigment), making it great for hair removal in lighter skin types, but not a good option for colored skin.

The Lightsheer (810nm long-pulsed Diode laser) is not absorbed by melanin as well as the Alexandrite.  This may make it less effective for thinner or lighter brown hairs, but allows some darker skin types to be treated.  I still would not treat African American skin with this laser--- for dark brown or black skin I prefer the long-pulsed Nd:Yag lasers such as the GentleYag.

So-- for lighter skin types, especially if you have thinner or lighter pigmented hairs, the GentleLase is a better option.  If you are darker skin toned, such a darker Italian skin, Middle-Eastern, Hispanic etc-- the Lightsheer (or the GentleYag) would be a better choice.  For dark brown and black skin, stick with the GentleYag.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Lightsheer v GentleLase

+2

These are laser brand names. Each of these lasers represents a completely different laser subtype. The Lightsheer is a diode laser and the GentleLASE is an alexandrite laser. I have used these extensively and these two lasers function at very different wavelengths. Therefore one of these lasers will penetrate deeper in the skin, treat melanin, the pigmented part of your hair follicle, differently and get different results. In addition, depending on your skin type certain lasers are safer than others. It is important that your physician understand what laser wavelength they are using with rather than what brand name they are using because settings will be different for every single type of laser.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Lightsheer vs. GentleLase

+1

If you are a light skin type (Caucasian), either of these lasers are appropriate for you. The GentleLase is an Alexandrite laser and the Lightsheer is a Diode laser. Although they are slightly different types of light (755nm for Alex and 810 for Diode) they are both very effective for light skinned laser hair removal. The GentleLase may be marginally more painful because it is air cooled rather than contact cooled (Lightsheer).

Ultimately, the total cost and result may boil down to which practitioner is more experienced in this situation as the number of treatments required should be similar.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD