Treatment to Lighten Eyelids After Eyelid Surgery?

In reference to my review above, I had upper Eyelid surgery 4 months ago. Problem is, I have dark pigment on both sides of the incisions. Scar aids make my lids dry and tight.

Can you suggest something I can use on my upper lids to lighten this area? Thank you so much.

Pigmentation after eyelid surgery

+1

As Doctor Pearson noted, PIH can be effectively treated with topical prescription creams such as Tri-Luma, which contains hydroquinone, retin-A and a steroid. An alternative is to use just hydroquinone in an attempt to bleach the skin out. A 4% cream is typical although some patients benefit from a compounded preparation up to 8% hydroquinone. If these topicals fail or provide suboptimal improvement you may be considered a candidate for an IPL series. This minimally invasive, light-based treatment is readily available in most cities and can provide a significant improvement in terms of darkly pigmented skin. Good luck.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)

+1

What you describe sound like post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Without seeing you, it's impossible to assess this for certain, but that's a well recognized side-effect of surgery in patients with certain skin types.

Oftentimes, PIH can be lightened with the application of Tri-Luma cream or just plain hydroquinone 4% cream. These are both prescription products, so talk to your surgeon first.

Good luck,

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon