How to Lighten Dark Scars Left by Carbuncle?

I have this flat circular dark scar left by carbuncle for almost 7 years. Is there a way to improve its color? I have consulted a dermatologist before and she said that surgery is not the best solution since the scar was deep beneath the skin and it's located above the knee. There's a possibility that the wound will open and it won't give a nice result. Hope you can help me. Thanks for your time.

Scar revision for an old carbuncle scar

+1

The photos are not clear not do they place this in perspective regarding location and size. Your best bet would be to consult a plastic surgeon in your area who can then provide you with your most prudent options.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com