Breakouts from Laser Hair Removal

I developed a horrible breakout from GentleLase, and didn't have great results with Aurora. When using the GentleLase the resulting breakouts were literally impossible to bear so I stopped those treatments. As for the Aurora, I really believe it has stopped working on me. Will LightSheer produce better results? I'm light-skinned (which does tan) with darker hair.

Lightsheer will give you the best results

+3

For light skin and dark hair the Lightsheer is your best choice. Breakouts can happened but only after the first 2-3 treatments when the hair is still dark and thick. Exfoliating the skin will help the hair to fall off faster and prevent skin breakage or scarring. Having long term breakouts from laser hair removal is not common and if it keeps happening you should see a dermatologist.

Breakouts with laser hair removal

+1

Acne-like breakouts after laser hair removal with GentleLase:  I have seen this happen a handful of times over 9 years of treating patients with laser hair removal. It tends to be in patients who have coarser hair.  I suspect it is a reaction to the "fried hairs" in the follicle after treatment.   I imagine that changing to a different laser would give similar results, but it might be worth a try.   The GentleLase is the most effective hair removal laser I have used for light skinned patients, so it might be worth the temporary breakouts (it lasts only a week or two in the patients I have seen). 

When I encounter these cases,  I treat the breakouts with acne medicines (like doxcycycline and benzoyl peroxide), and if it seems to happen every time we do laser, we will even pre-treat in anticipation of these breakouts.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Breakouts with Laser Hair Removal

+1

It is possible that you will still break out after Lightsheer treatments, but based on your description of your skin and hair type, the Lightsheer is a good option for you. The GentleLase typically uses air cooling and the Lightsheer contact cooling so the Lightsheer may end up causing less irritation.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No one can guarantee results

+1
Many laser surgeons still think that Light Sheer is the safest laser for hair removal. Remember that many treatments are needed, often more than 8, and no one can guarantee results, but approximately 80% of patients receive about 80% reduction in hair count as a long term result.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Candela Gentle Yag is superior for Laser Hair Removal

+1

Laser Hair Removal With Gentle Yag The Gentle Yag laser hair removal system is superior to all other machines and is equally effective in darker skin types, including African American and Hispanic populations. The laser emits a cooling spray to improve patient compliance and reduce pain associated with the laser procedure.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS