Can light lymphatic facial and neck massage help swelling go down after a midface lift?

Should I get a lymphatic massage after facelift?

+1
I find that it can be helpful with my patients. I recommend waiting at least two weeks after surgery before having it done and it is not very useful if over three months since surgery. I would make sure that you follow up with someone who is experienced with this procedure so as not to compromise your results and check with your surgeon to ensure that he or she is OK with it.

Lymphatic massage after a facelift is nonsense

+1
Lymphatic massage after a facelift is a ruse. The face will Heal faster the better it is protected, not Traumatized by a massage.

Lymphatic Massage is helpful for post operative swelling after facelift

+1
Dear pushing50, Yes, lymphatic massage can be very helpful in decreasing swelling of the face and neck. Make sure that you speak with your surgeon before scheduling this as he/she may know an expert in the field to recommend. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lymphatic massage will help decrease the post-op swelling.

+1

But check with your surgeon first.  And I wouldn't do this for at least 3 weeks after the surgery.  But you can do some of this massage yourself too.  Just make sure you always massage in the direction of the pull.  You don't to pull against your sutures.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lymphatic Massage After Facelift

+1
Yes, lymphatic massage can be very helpful in decreasing swelling of the face and neck within 6-8 weeks after a facelift. It is important to have a trained lympatic massage therapist to perform treatments. The swelling will resolve on it's own, but lymphatic massage can help speed up the process.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

It may be helpful

+1
You don't mention how long after surgery you are, but if it's inside a month or 2 (or for some patients, even longer) since surgery, this swelling will likely resolve on it's own.  Try to be patient but a facial massage may be helpful (if it's not too soon since surgery).  Most importantly, discuss this with your surgeon.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lymphatic massage after facelift

+1

the short answer is yes.  However, doing this properly needs a person trained in lymphatic massage.  Most of the swelling typically resolves in about three weeks or so following a facelift with simply cold compresses and head elevation.  so if you gain a few days or a week you would need to decide if this is worthwhile.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon