Would a Light AHA Peel Be the Safest for Brown Skin?

and are there any differences, being a male, vs. female skin in the results?

Chemical peels can be performed on patients of all skin types

+1

When deciding to do a chemical peel on brown skin, it is safest to choose a doctor who is experienced treating brown skin. Yes, brown skin can hyperpigment after inflammation but a skilled practitioner will know how to minimize and manage this risk. There are many types of peels that can be performed on brown skin with excellent resutls

Lactic acid or Sal Acid for dark skin

+1

The important thing is that any procedure that produces inflammation can induce post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown spots) in the skin, so any procedure will give you some risk of brown spots.  I like Lactic Acid or Salacylic Acid peels in darker skin patients, but also utilize a high quality hydroquinone and start with lower concentrations.  If you have darker skin, you will have a slower improvement, but excellent improvements can ben make in skin tone and texture!

Michael Howard Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

I prefer salicylic acid and Jessner

+1

The use of all chemicals on darker skin runs the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Picking or pulling the desquamating skin increases the risk. I like salicylic acid Theraplex peels best. It is anti-inflammatory, lipophilic (so it helps with any acne) and works well on darker skin under the cautious eyes of a board certified dermatologist. Both men and women do well with this peel. Silkpeel is also a great option for darker skin.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist