Will Lifting Weights Decrease the Breast Tissue?

I just had my breast augmentation over 2 months ago. I received Saline implants. I was a 32 B and now I am a 32DD. I am starting to get into lifting weights. Im not planning to be a bodybuilder, my goal is to just get fit and toned.I would love to stay at a 32DD, I love how they look. I know that my implants cant be decreased by exercise, but I was wondering if lifting weights could decrease the minimal breast tissue that I do have and could possibly make me drop a breast size.

Breast size and weight lifting

+3

Breasts are usually made up of a combination of fat and breast tissue.  The more fat, the more prone it is to weight fluctuations.  So if you lose weight while working out, the breasts may get smaller.

Weight lifting and Breast Size?

+3

Weight lifting should not necessarily decrease breast tissue but  can contribute to  loss of  adipose tissue;  this can result in a decreased  breast size and/or decrease soft tissue coverage of the breast implants. One of the potential downsides here is the increased potential for rippling/ palpability of your saline breast implants.

Unfortunately, it is hard to be more specific about the potential changes you may  experience without directly  examining you.

Breast size with weight lifting

+2

I agree with all my colleagues above that the weight loss is the bigger issue.  The implants should be fine...the only issue that I would warm you about is that with the weight loss you are thining out the breast pocket which means that it is possible that the implant becomes more palpable and visible, especially saline implants.  My recommendation is that dont lose too much weight.  Good luck. Hope this helps.

Dr. Vasisht - South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Loosing weight can decrease your breast size

+2

Yes, loosing weight may decrease your breast size. It will not affect your implant at all.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Weightlifting and Breast Size Changes

+2

Dear Samantha30,

This is a question plastic surgeons often hear from their patients who have decided to start a new exercise program that includes weightlifting.  How much your breast size will change due to your exercise program is difficult to determine since breasts are made up of both fatty tissue and glandular tissue.  If your breasts are more fatty tissue than glandular tissue, then you may experience a decrease in breast size as you loss weight.  If your breasts are more glandular, then most women do not see a significant change in breast size due to exercise.

If your implants have been placed under the muscle, it would be advisable to limit your exercise program to toning the pectoralis muscle rather than bulking them up which can result in breast distortions with movement or even malposition of the implant.  Your personal trainer can advise you on which exercise routines will be best for you and your goals.

Exercise and weightlifting is great way to stay in shape, look good, and be healthy.  Like all exercise programs, it requires learning how to do it right to avoid problems.  Have fun!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Effects of weight lifting after breast implants

+2

Implant size will not change with weight lifting, and the overall size of the breast will change in proportion to weight loss or weight gain. One thing to be careful of is if the implants are under the muscle, then developing your pecs can lead to what are called animation deformities, which are distortions of the breast shape with muscle contraction. If your implants are under the muscle it may be a good idea to avoid isolating the pecs with your workout.

Richard Baxter, MD

Weight lifting after breast augmentation will NOT decrease breast size.

+2

At a young age, your breasts are predominantly gland with less fat, but as you age, your gland diminishes and your fatty breast tissue increases.

Exercise that builds muscle and decreases fat but keeps weight stable will not have any appreciable change in your breast size. However, if you exercise to the degree that you actually lose weight, your breasts could lose a small percentage of volume (dependent upon the amount of fatty tissue your breasts started with). Read the first sentence again--if you are young and have firm, mostly glandular breast tissue, there should be very little to no loss of breast volume with any reasonable amount of exercise.

Exercise without fear; it's good for you, and won't change your breasts, especially since your own breast tissues are "minimal." Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lifting weight and breast size

+2

Losing weight will decrease breast size. If the weight lifting makes you lose weight, then yes. However, proportionally you will lose weight everywhere else too. Staying in shape is always good. It makes you look better and it's good for longevity.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss can change breast shape/size

+1
Exercise can lead to weight loss, and this may affect the appearance of your breasts because fatty tissue in your breasts may decrease. This could cause your breasts to lose volume or sag, but this depends on if you lose a lot of weight. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD