When Will I Be Able to Take Care of Kids Again After Tummy Tuck?

I provide day care for my brothers 2yr old son. I plan to have a full tummy tuck . Will I be able to resume care for him in week or two if I stay housebound. When will it be safe to pick him up. I am 47 and have had 3 C Sections so I am aware of the pain but am a quick healer. Thanks.

Lifting Kids AFTER a Tummy Tuck

+2

The need for women to resume care taker roles quickly is one of the limitations of a Tummy Tuck. The MOST important part of a Tummy Tuck is the muscle repair. The 6 pack Rectus muscles which were split by pregnancy and or obesity MUST be brought together and more IF the tummy stands a chance of being flattened. Each surgeon has his own philosophy on the tightness of the repair, the number of stitches, their type and how many layers or repair are placed.  AFTER the repair is completed and the excess skin is removed, EVERY time you strain the muscle repair is pulled sideways and is put in potential jeopardy of being ripped. The risk lessens as the skin reattaches to the muscle surface and the strain of lifting is distributed across a broader surface - not only the repair itself.

For this reason, I ask my patients NOT to lift anything heavier than 10-15 pounds for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery. I would advise you to find alternative options for the care of your nephew while you are healing.

Wait 6 Weeks Until Picking Up Child After Tummy Tuck

+1
Normally, I advise patients to plan to be off work for 2-3 weeks, during which time your physical activity is limited to leisurely walking, as it helps minimize the risk of deep clots in your leg veins. You may not be in good condition to watch your nephew, especially since he's only 2 and requires close attention.

It is important that you avoid straining, lifting, and bending completely over during this time as well. To pick up your nephew, I recommend you wait at least 6 weeks after surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Lifting and taking care of children after tummy tuck should be delayed at least 2 weeks

+1

Thank you for your question. It is important that you discuss your recovery and when you can do lifting with the surgeon who performed your tummy tuck. If extensive muscle repair work is done you should not be lifting more than 5 or 10 pounds for several weeks after your surgery as guided by your surgeon.

Routine tummy tuck's in younger healthy individuals require at least 2 weeks recovery before lifting. Every patient is individual however and the most important thing is to get specific guidelines from your surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Taking Care of Kids After a Tummy Tuck

Within a few hours after the procedure, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds (including your nephew) should be avoided for at least six weeks after surgery or even longer if time be needed.

Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities within two to three weeks of surgery like driving and cooking. I would not recommend doing anything physical like picking him up or running around with him, but simple tasks are fine after a couple days following the surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS