Lifting Corners of the Mouth by Mid-face Lift?

How much will a Mid-face lift raise the corners of the mouth? I would like to avoid the scars of a corner of the mouth lift. And I have sunken cheeks. So it might kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

P.S. How bad are the scars from a corner of the mouth lift? I can't wear lipstick cause I'm a guy.

Plump up the cheeks to correct mouth droop

+4

A midface lift can, in some people, slightly raise the corners of the mouth, but it wouldn't be my procedure of choice. Other options to raise the corners of the mouth are plumping up the cheeks and/or lips with filler, injecting Botox into the muscles that pull the mouth down (depressor anguli oris), or a corner lip lift.

In the right candidate, the corner lip lift can be a beautful thing with virtually no visible scars. I usually do it in older women with thin, caucasian skin. Thicker skin and men do tend to form more scars. Since you said that you have sunken cheeks, this clues me in to the fact that your droopy mouth is a result of fat loss and deflation of the cheeks.

Therefore, (without the benefit of seeing you) I would think that cheek augmentation with injectable fillers or fat transfer would be the preferred treatment for you.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You would be making a mistake.

+2

I don't think the long term effects of the cheeklift will be what you'd like as fart as the lifting of the corners of the mouth. I don't like the scars one would get with an incision at the corner of the mouth. You would do best with radiesse for this problem as the lesser of evils. 

Mid-face lift is not a great way of achieving a corner lift

+2

I would not use the mid-face lift alone to achieve elevation of the corners of the mouth. It is more likely to restore fullness to the cheeks.

This can be performed using a variety of incisions from inside the mouth, to under the eye or through the face lift approach. It is not uncommon to combine fat injections to enhance the cheeks. Commonly overcorrection is required in order to compensate for long term settling. Initially, this may give you a very full cheek appearance.

I do perform corner lifts but usually on individuals over the age of 60 who have well established creases in which to conceal the incisions. I would also be concerned in a male that this could produce visible scars with possible loss of hair (cicatricial alopecia) which could make the incisions more visible.

Other non-surgical options which give the impression of a corner lift include the use of fillers to the labiomandibular lines.

Tightening the lower face - Los Angeles Ultherapy

+1

A non surgical option for the mid face lift is Ultherapy, which can tighten the SMAS layer of the face.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Corner of the mouth droop

+1

A corner of the mouth lift leaves very visible scars that are completely unacceptable and totally unnatural looking. Do not do it. Do a regular face-lift or fillers and no other approach. A good pre-auricular face-lift and good filler work will make the corner of the mouth area look fine and also help with cheek sagging and jowl drooping problems. I also am a proponent of cheek implants that are placed in from under the upper lip. They look fantastic and elevate all the areas of concern nicely. I have been doing them for 20 years without complications or rejections.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid Facelifting and the Corners of the Mouth

+1

The Mid Facelift addresses the face and cheek area for rejuvenation.  The corners of the mouth can improve somewhat but only slightly as to not get a "joker smile."  Depending on the perioral aging of the corners of the mouth, other procedures can address this specific cosmetic deformity.  Direct incision leaves visable scars but is useful for older women that have a great deal of perioral wrinkling and marionette lines.  Botox improvement with partial paralysis of the DAO muscle leads to the intra-oral partial removal of the DAO muscle.  When accompanied by permanent fat injection a scar-less elevation of the corner of the mouth is possible. 

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mid-facelift is a very good option.

+1

Hi! In New York City, we think the mid-facelift is a very good operation. It significantly lifts the corners of the mouth and provides fullness to the cheeks. And there are no visible scars (the incisions are in the mouth and behind the temples in the hair).

How it is done is very important, so you neeed an experienced surgeon. See the link below for a name near you.

We do not do or recommend the corner of the mouth lift. The scars can be quite noticeable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)