Lifting a Baby 3 Weeks After Breast Augmentation Caused Pain, Have I Caused Further Problems For Myself?

I am 3 weeks after breast augmentation surgery, 330cc silicone subpectorial dual plane 1... yesterday I lifted a baby (30 lb) for a few seconds but today i feel pain in my muscles... Im worried, does it cause some problems for me? (I'm 24 years old)

Lifting after breast augmentation

+2

I too advise patients to restrict upper arm activities for 6 weeks post surgery. Normal daily activities is fine. Lifting babies is a common question. I generally say after the first 2 to 3 weeks, with a good sports bra on for support. Any longer than this is difficult and impractical for Mums. If there is no significant swelling with your pain, you have probably just pulled a stitch or a scar or a muscle. I would advise some anti- inflammatories, stop carrying your baby for a few days. If the pain resolves, slowly return back to baby duties, otherwise check in with your plastic surgeon.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lifting guidelines after a breast augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

In our practice I allow women to resume regular activity early on following a breast augmentation, although I recommend they stay away from heavy lifting ( greater than 10 pounds) for no less than 4 weeks.  I am rather conservative in this regard because undue strain with early onset muscle tearing and subsequent bleeding may put yourself at risk for problems, including capsular contracture.  Having said that, you may have experienced a muscle strain and nothing more.  I would recommend you follow your surgeons guidelines for what he or she feels is the appropriate treatment course for your particular situation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Lifting Ok After Breast Augmentation

+2

It is generally alright to resume lifting objects with your arms a week after a breast augmentation.  As long as a patient does it slowly at first, it should not cause any damage to the breasts.  It can feel strange or even painful at first when a patient resumes more activities, including lifting, but that is normal.  The body has to get used to everything again.  If you are three weeks out from surgery, chances are that you have not done yourself any harm.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Lifting a baby after breast augmentation

+2

Most women are able to lift and do light exercises three weeks after a breast augmentation.  It is unlikely that lifting a baby will cause any permanent harm.  Any soreness you feel is likely due the stain placed on your chest muscles after the surgery.  I would be concerned if you actually saw a change or felt a shift in the position of your implants.  In that case, you should see you plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after Breast Surgery

+2

Normally, I ask my patients not to lift for the first 2-4 weeks.  You could have strained a muscle when you picked up your baby. To put your mind at ease, go see your plastic surgeon so that he/she can examine you to make sure all is well.  Most likely you didn't do anything.

Pain at 3 weeks

+1

It's unlikely that lifting at the 3 week point will cause any issue.  With implants under the muscle it isn't unusual to cause some strain of the muscle periodically.  Not something that should affect you long term.  If you're really concerned then you should have your surgeon take a peek.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Lifitng babies after breast augmentation

+1

I usualy have my post-breast augmentation patients wait at least 6 weeks to lift heavy objects. Check with your surgeon to see if there is a problem.

Post Operative Concerns

+1

Anytime you have any type of post operative concern you should contact your board certified plastic surgeon's office. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sounds like you ripped some early capsular scar tissue. But for safety see your surgeon to evaluate to breast in question. 

Pain in muscles after lifting a baby 3 weeks after a breast augmentation

+1

At 3 weeks, it is unlikely that you caused any damage by lifting a baby. Most probably you just strained your pectoral muscles and that should generally subside fairly quickly. As long as there are no substantial visual changes such as significant enlargement of your breasts, I would give it at least several days. If you still have concerns, contact your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD