Do i need a lift or will a breast augmentation suffice? (Photos)

Hello I am 22 years old 5'7 and 148 lbs. I plan on getting a breast augmentation in the near future. I currently wear a size 36D-DD and i was wondering would I need a lift ? Or would I be able to do the augmentation alone without it? My breast aren't very "perky" but i don't mind that. I just want to add more fullness. Thank you

Large breasts

+2
Cosmetically speaking, you already have attractive, large, youthful appearing breasts. You also have moderate ptosis (sagging) of your breasts, but as I stated, they are cosmetically attractive generally speaking.

If you want to add more fullness, then yes, you could have an augmentation. But it would take a sizable implant to make a significant difference, and as already mentioned, you will increase sagging of your breasts. You also need to consider the life long ramifications of a device in your breasts such as capsular contracture, silicone leak, and the need for future re-operations (costly).

Overall, in my own opinion, I would recommend doing nothing to your breasts. If anything, in the next 10 years or sooner, I wound anticipate that you would actually be in need of a reduction (no implants) as your breasts enlarge and become more ptotic.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants That Provide a Bit Of A Lift Would Be Recommended

+1
To be honest, your breasts appear to be a good size for your body according to your photos. However, you do have slight sagging. If you were to get implants, please note that the rate at which your breasts continue to sag would accelerate.

For mild to moderate sagging, I offer two types of implants that both lift and increase cup size at the same time, which means one procedure instead of two. It can be large breast implants or small. Inspira Soft Touch implants are designed to achieve a slight lift to the breast contour, without making additional surgical correction necessary. They come in two levels of cohesiveness: the less cohesive Responsive gel, similar to all the previous cohesive gels, and a slightly more cohesive Soft Touch gel. If possible, Soft Touch Inspira implants are placed into a submammary pocket. The other type is the Allergan Style 410, a stable tear-drop shaped implant that creates more projection than a round implant, most likely due to a maximal point of projection being lower down. Good results can be achieved by either implant type, however unlike Allergan Style 410, Inspira Soft Touch has no risk of rotation.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast lift or augmentation

+1
You appear to be at least a 34D and possibly a DD.  You do not need an implant.  A breast lift would be your breast option to achieve a more ideal shape. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Breast augmentation

+1
Whether you need a lift depends on what is important to you, size or perkiness.  I can appreciate that a young woman like yourself would want to avoid scars that come with a lift.  Implants may suffice for now,and in several years from now, after you've had children, it can be converted to a lift.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Lift vs. Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1
It is hard to say without an in office exam. Have you considered just doing a lift only? You look like you have quite a bit of tissue and unless you are looking to be much bigger if you are lifted you will most likely have the perky look you are trying to achieve. Just a thought. Whether you need a lift with the augmentation or not can really only be determined by the surgeon who is actually looking at you and manipulating the tissue.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Do you need surgery?

+1
As you are thinking down the road, the answer today is no you do not unless you really want to be much fuller.  In that case, an implant alone will do that but your will still have that droopy look.  If you have not yet had children and that is a for sure and you want to experience complete breast feeding, wait until you are done and you will almost certainly need a lift as well as an implant at that point.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast LIft or Implants

+1
Breast lift and breast implants do different things. Implants increase the volume of the breasts but do not change the position of the nipple much, if any. A breast lift (mastopexy) moves the nipple into a more superior position but the trade off is more extensive scarring. I ask my patients who are in your position to ask themselves which is more important to them, the position of the nipples or the volume of their breasts. Once they consider that and decide what their goal is, it is usually relatively easy to decide on the appropriate procedure.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants alone Breast implants alone or lift plus implants

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph. As others have stated you have attractive normal looking breasts. In my opinion it would be a shame to have the scarring associated with breast lift which would detract from their appearance. However if you want Sub-muscular breast augmentation a lift would be necessary.

In your case since you simply want more volume, and you do not mind the ptosis or sagging that you have a simple Sub-glandular breast augmentation with moderate sized breast implants would be my choice. Most plastic surgeons prefer submuscular breast implant placement but this in your case would require a lift and I would not want to put those scars on your breasts. If you decide later a lift is necessary it could be done then.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation vs Breast Lift

+1
Thank you for your question, which many potential patients ponder.  To help patients unravel the answer, I usually counsel my patients to first determine if they need a breast lift; then after answering the first question, ask whether they would like larger breasts or not.  It is a commonly held notion that one can get a breast augmentation instead of a breast lift.  In my 20 years of experience, I can say that those patients who try to do an augmentation instead of a lift, eventually end up requiring a bigger lift than when they started.  Here, the old adage "the bigger they are, the harder they fall," holds true.

From your side view photo it appears that half of your breast tissue resides below the inframammary fold (fold under your breast).  Thus, the answer to the first question to me is clear, you would do well with a lift.  The second question is up to you.
If you are contemplating an augmentation alone, be prepared for a larger version of the same shape you currently have.  And be mentally prepared for a lift in the future.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Breast lift

+1
Thank you for the picture.

I believe that you'll have a great benefit by having a breast lift. Your breast tissue seems enough to give you the volume your looking for or perhaps implants can be placed for a rounder look.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon