Will I Need a Lift? (photo)

Hello, I'm only 20 years old and plan on getting 550cc silicone implants over the muscle... My breasts sag just a tad but for my age and lack volume. Hince why I'm getting implants, but will I need a lift as well? Or will my nipple turn up more with the implants?

Do I need a lift?

+2

Dear Hope,

Thank you for your question/photos.  It is a little hard to tell from those photos as there is no profile view and your hands are on your hips, instead of side, which raises the breasts a bit.  You may be able to get by without a lift, or may need just a 'donut' style lift.  You can certainly do the augmentation now, as it will lift your nipples somewhat, and decide whether to have a lift.  The following is an example of a augmentation with 'donut' style lift.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Will I Need a Lift?

+2

I think a lift is likely to improve the overall appearance, but with implants as large as you are considering, it might be better to do that separately and later. This may be safer, and in addition gives you the option to reevaluate the decision based on appearance after implants.

All the best. 

Avoid a diaster

+1

Since you are only 20 years old, I would highly recommend you undergo a lift at the time of augmentation.  However, I definitely would not use 550 cc silicone implants over the muscle.  Pre-pectoral placement cuts the supporting ligaments to the breast and the added weight will make your breasts droop even further.  You are setting yourself up for multiple operations and will be dissatisfied.  There is a new alternative technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Smaller implant placed retro-pectoral are more stable long term and are less likely to require revisions.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

You don't need a breast lift.

+1

The breasts show minimal ptosis if any at all. The breast implants selected are large and will easily camouflage any existing droopiness.

Do you need a lift?

+1

Whenever someone comes in where they are in the 'gray' zone, I always suggest the augmentation first and then you can decide if you really need the lift and the scars that would come with it.  If the lift is minimal, it can be done under local in the office and save you considerable amounts by avoiding the OR.

Curtis Wong, MD

Lift or not?

+1

550 cc implants will make you quite large and in the subglandular plane (above the muscle) will help with your mild ptosis. Gravity and nature will take its toll and you will likely need a lift in the future, particularly after pregnancy.

A large implant above the muscle may cause thinning of tissue and other problems so consider your decision and discuss the options with your Plastic Surgeon.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation vs. breast lift

+1

Your posted photos show some mild ptosis and it looks like there is sufficient tissue to adequately cover an over the muscle implant. It is unclear why you want such a large implant that will obviously increase the ptosis with time. I am sure there are a lot of women out there who wish they looked like your before surgery photo after their surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast implants vs breast lift

+1

Hi Hope. You are a candidate for either but would have a totally different style of breast depending on your choice. A mastopexy alone could create a beautiful breast with a smaller "perkier" areola with more of an upward tilt. You could have an implant at the same time for more upper fullness. An implant alone is unlikely to lift the nipple position fully and I'd predict that with the implant you've chosen, you'll have large, full breasts that are "topheavy". In essence, you'd get a larger version of what you now have with implants alone and a totally reshaped breast but  with scars if you choose a lift. Hopefully your surgeon has many before and after pictures and can show you examples of patients who chose one option vs the other with similar anatomy. This is probably the best way to help you make the right choice for your own goals.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Breast augmentation without a lift

+1

You do have some degree of natural sagging of the breast but you tissue is young and you have good skin elasticity.  It is very likely that with the size of implants you are considering you will do just fine without a lift.  

Will I Need a Lift?

+1

Just from the appearance of the photos, it appears your left nipple is a little lower than the right and the left breast may be just a little larger. You can perhaps verify if this is true or not by how your breasts fill out each side of you current bras. My best guess is that 550cc implants are likely to raise you about 2 cup sizes if you stay with the same number bra you are currently wearing. Have you tried on a bra you want to wear after surgery with the 550cc implant in the bra in front of your breasts? If you haven't I suggest you do so to get an idea of the increase in size and weight that it will add. If the left breast is larger you may want to add a few cc. or ml. to the right side to get better balance. You should get significant uplift with that size implant. As the years go by, you surely will see more sag. Your expectations will determine if that's OK with you or if you want to try to make changes. So many things in your future can make big changes to your breasts, you will have to wait to see if you want an uplift later or not. Good luck.

Joseph Hayhurst, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon