I Had a Lift then Years Later Large Implants. Best Incision for Just Removing Implants?

Just want implants out -- no problems. My lower anchor scars are about 3/4 inch above the crease (due to the large implants). I will be a large A after removal of implants. So which incision is best - aerola's or anchor scar? Also, where will my new crease be?

Best Incision for Removing Breast Implants after Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation

+1

You mentioned that you already have an anchor scar from your breast lift and breast implant augmentation surgery.

Because you are having large breast implants removed, it is likely that the breast skin envelope will be stretched-out, lax, and unlikely to shrink down to normal.  Therefore, I suggest the your best option would be to remove the implant through the lower portion of the anchor incision and have the breast lift redone to take up the loose breast envelope skin using the already existing scars.

Incision for Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

Any of the previous incisions used can be used again for removal of the breast implants. If additional skin excision is planned,  then the implants can be removed through this same area.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Breast implant removal (explantation) in patient with raised anchor scar

+1

In these instances, I have used the vertical portion of the scar and then have performed a capsulorrphy to raise the leve of the fold to the horizontal porion of the anchor scar.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/implant-replacement/

Incision choices

+1

When you have had previous breast surgery then the old scar is usually the best bet for implant placement or removal.  Even an old biopsy scars will work for access.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Best Way to Remove unwanted Breast Implants

+1

Regarding: "I Had a Lift then Years Later Large Implants. Best Incision for Just Removing Implants?
Just want implants out
-- no problems. My lower anchor scars are about 3/4 inch above the crease (due to the large implants). I will be a large A after removal of implants. So which incision is best - aerola's or anchor scar? Also, where will my new crease be
?"

If you are SURE you want the implants out and not an breast implant exchange this operation should not be a major challenge to a good Plastic surgeon.

Although the implants can be removed through ANY of the Anchor / Inverse T scar components (periareolar, vertical or transverse limb), I would prefer to go through the verical limb of the scar for several reasons:
- direct access to the top of the implant and unmatched visibility

- Tissue can be removed here to minimize post implant removal empty sock look

- allows for correction of of the raised breast fold ("scars are about 3/4 inch above the crease") and for putting the transverse scar back in the fold at the same time as implant removal.

- usually produces an excellent narrow scar

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Loose skin after implant removal

+1

Many women will feel "deflated" when implants are removed and this can be improved with a mastopexy, a "tuck" or "lift", to remove the excess skin.  In your case, since you have scars from your previous lift, it makes sense to use them for your next procedure.  There will be some extra skin to remove, but this can usually be done without adding extra scars.  I have been using the vertical mastopexy lift technique with very natural and satisfactory long term results for over a decade now and this allows for the elimination of the long horizontal inframammary scars in most cases. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

+1

Removing the implants should be easy. The inferior portion of the anchor incision can be used to remove the implants.

Removing Implants Generally EASY with Any Approach

+1

When you have  full anchor-pattern type scars, you can use any of the incisions to remove the implants.  Generally speaking, they come out very easy.  If your surgeon is going to remove any excess skin at the same time ( from the inframammary area particularly), then they should just be removed through that incision.  It is always difficult to judge how your skin is going to bounce back after removal of the implants.  Some women do great, while others have alot of empty breast skin.  Without seeing pictures of you, it is really hard to give you an accurate idea of where the fold will end up, but chances are that wherever the implants sit now, that is where the fold will be even after they are removed. I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.