Will I Be Able to Lift Weights After Reconstruction with Implants?

I currently lift weights and play the violin and am worried about the alteration of the pectoral muscle involved in placing the implants. I am 4 yrs past bilateral mastectomy. Do you foresee any problems with prolonged periods of playing the violin, or lifting weights?

Lifting weights after breast reconstruction with implants.

+2

The elevation of the pectoralis muscles for placement of expanders and implants in breast reconstruction should not alter the function significantly. The muscle excursion is increased by the placement of the implant, however, most women do not notice a change in overall strength. I have had several patients who are fitness trainers, rock climbers, musicians, etc. and with exercise, the pectoralis strength has not been an issue.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

You have the option of the Autologous reconstruction

+1

If you are a candidate for the auotologous reconstruction,you can use your own fatty tissue from lower abdomen or inner thigh for the breast reconstruction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Post breast reconstruction recovery

+1
Dear fiddlerplayer, Best not to fiddle around with weight lifting for 5-6 weeks post op. I would bet your surgeon will have feelings depending on his planned procedure as to when you can get back to your violin. Four years is a long wait. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Physical activity after breast reconstruction with implants

+1

After mastectomy for cancer, there is thin tissue coverage and so the pectoral muscle is typically used to cover the upper portion of the implant, and an Alloderm graft is used to support the bottom and sides where the pectoral muscle doesn't reach. This would have an effect on  weight training and it would be inadvisable I think to develop the pecs with implants under. There may be an option to use Alloderm or Strattice to cover the upper part of the implant and leave the muscle alone, but this would need to be determined on an individual basis. I would not recommend having it done without the use of an acellular graft such as Alloderm. Either way I would not expect your ability to play the violin to be affected once you are fully recovered.

Richard Baxter, MD