Do I Need a Lift? I Just Want Implants. (photo)

Hi i am terribly upset, i have had my consultation today and have been told i need a lift! i am only 20 and am not prepared to have the lollypop scars as i really feel i dont need a lift. I am after a small D cup hopefully (but would be content with a c) I just want a much rounder look. Round and fake looking but not set high up on my chest.

Breast implants, lifts, and asymmetry

+1

This is a difficult situation because of the asymmetry in volume and position of the breasts with the right breast low (ptotic) enough to lift even if the left one doesn't need it. You could augment both breast without the lift using different forward profiles but the same width and accept the marked difference in the right breast which you could lift later if you decided you wanted to improve the symmetry. You could also augment both breasts with different volume (same width) implants and lift only the right side but this is balancing a lot of factors to get a predictable outcome. I would do the augmentation alone first and then see if you want to lift the right breast as a secondary procedure. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Need for unilateral lift

+1
Based on your photos, you appear to need a right sided Mastopexy (lift) along with different size implants to try to provide better symmetry. Unfortunately, the trade off for the droopiness on the right side is the scar associated with the lift.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend breast lift with implants

+1

Given that you want  "round and fake looking" breasts, you would need breast augmentation with lift.  You have some asymmetry between your left and right; I think you will need different implant sizes as well as breast lift.  The breast lift may be circumareolar (donut) or circumvetical (lollipop) lift.  I think that it is better to have better shape than well-healed scars.  However, if you cannot accept additional scar, you will be compromising the shape.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast lift with implants

+1

Your pictures show significant asymmetry and low nipples.  Each breast may actually need a slightly different modification to achieve an attractive result.  I advise my patients that it is better to have no surgery at all than to have incorrect or incomplete surgery.  If you need lifts but cannot accept the scars, perhaps you should put off surgery for now.  And be careful shopping around to find the opinion you are hoping for.  There will always be somebody who is happy to take your money to do what you want, not what you need.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Is a lift needed?

+1

The need for a lift is completely dependent on what your goals are. Your nipples are low on your breasts. But, if it doesn't bother you now, maybe it won't bother you later. I have had plenty of patients who are happy with their "low" nipples. The important thing is for you to understand what your breasts will look like if you don't have a lift. If you are expecting the implant to make your nipples look more in the center of your breasts - you will be very disappointed. You could always just have the augmentation first and wait to see the results. You could always have the lift later if your mind changes.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast implants alone won't correct asymmetry but adjustments can be minor

+1

Thank you for your question and the photo. A "donut" lift around the nipple is all that you would need at the time of implant placement to correct your asymmetry. I do not think that you need a lollipop lift but I may be mistaken because I haven't had the benefit of examining you. You will need some adjustments to correct the differences between your breasts, but this is straightforward for an experienced plastic surgeon.

If you want other opinions, see two or more additional board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps. Best wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Who Needs A Lift?

+1

Women who have breast asymmetry, breast ptosis (sagging) or nipple asymmetry could potentially benefit from a breast lift procedure. Your photo appears to show all of these problems. Breast implants alone will make your breasts larger but based on the photo it appears you would obtain a much better overall result by adding a breast lift. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Search for Truth- Not What Would be Easy to Hear

+1

Hi there-

If your goal is to have lovely, round breasts that look like each other, then yes, you nee a breast lift (at least on the right side).

Be careful- I'm sure you could find someone willing to do whatever you want if you search hard enough or wave a bit of money in the air- but you will be the one paying the price after it's done.

Not all surgeons are equal is skill, talent, ethics, and morals. Find one you like and feel you can trust, then listen carefully to their recommendations and their alternatives. But remember always that things that sound too good to be true still are.

The truth is that your breasts are very, very uneven, and that you show evidence of a tuberous breast deformity. I completed an extra year of training in complex breast surgery and perform a great many breast operations each year, and I cannot think of any way possible for you to achieve symmetry and a lovely shape without a lift.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Lift or no lift with augmentation?

+1

I am unable to give a definitive answer without an examination and discussion, but based on the photograph that you provided, you should strongly consider a breast lift.  Your nipples (especially the right nipple) are on the lower poles of your breasts.  The photograph also shows significant asymmetry of your breasts.  While the lift will cause some scarring, it will also improve your breast shape.  You should meet again with your plastic surgeon and ask to review a number of pre/post-operative photographs.  Evaluate carefully patients with nipples on the lower pole of the breast and then consider their final result.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1

As most of the experts have stated you have asymmetry and possible mild tuberous deformity. Just adding a "large" implant will only worsen the defects. Best to listen to the in person surgeon you saw. Maybe get additional in person opinions. Follow up on what you decide to do please.