Do I Need a Lift or Can I Get by with Just Saline Implants? (photo)

I went and saw a PS last week and she explained to me that she was going to cut and inch under my breast and fold my skin in leaving me with a wedge scar. It scared me and I also was so curious about what the scar would look like, but when I was asking her for some before and after photos, the only photos she was able to show me was of women that had extremely saggy breast with nipples pointing down. I am just wondering if I really need a lift or if I would be satisfied with just implants.

Breast implants with or without a lift

+2

Thank you for the pictures.  It really depends on your goals on whether or not a lift is needed.  Implants alone will give you a very natural look if that is what you are looking for.  However, if you are a desiring a tighter breast pocket around the implant then you may need a small lift.  I hope this help you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Getting by with implants alone or opting for a breast lift

+2

There is no right or wrong answer to this. You might be happy with just a breast augmentation, but the skin envelope might be a bit loose and the implants might set slightly low on the chest wall. This can be a very natural look, but many patients prefer more volume in the upper pole of the breast. Whenever I have a patient that is a borderline case like yours, I try to convince them that doing the surgeries in stages is the best option. I would suggest completing a breast augmentation alone first and allowing the implants to settle for at least 3 months. You need to be prepared that a breast lift as a second procedure may be needed for you to be completely happy though. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation or Breast Augmentation and Lift

+2

Although you do have an element of pseudoptosis, which is probably more noticeable with your arms at your sides, the breasts would probably do well without a lift.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant or lift as well

+2

It looks like from your photos, that you may be able to have implants only , but it is really hard to say without a proper exam. You may need a lift.

To lift or not to lift?

+2

Although a physical exam is needed to make any formal recommendations, based on your photos alone, I would likely suggest a dual plane augmentation.   An implant will likely fill in the deflated breast.  However, I would need to access your chest wall, nipple position, and skin quality/excess to tell you if you would need a lift of some form.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Need better photos

+1

Need another photo with your arms down next to you to get a better assessment.  However, know that you don't have to do a lift at all and that doing it is your choice.  With the amount of sagging you have I would only do breast enlargement and no lift (because in my opinion your not sagging "much").  Your doctor should show you examples of patients who have similar situation to you where he did only implants and ones he/she did implant and lift.  Choose your doctor based on his/her before/after photos and make sure every photo shows three views from each patient (front, quarter turn, and profile).

Andre Aboolian, MD

Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. With your arms elevated, the breast position on your chest wall changes. Therefore, it is difficult to give you precise advice.

If in doubt, I would suggest that you meet with additional well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Nothing replaces an in-person examination and a full communication of your goals. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process. Often (for patients in a “borderline”  situation), an examination in front of a full-length mirror and a careful discussion of goals is all that is necessary to determine whether a patient will benefit from breast lifting surgery or not.

Lift or implants? Or both

+1

Looking at your pictures I suspect just implants would be fine.  Your nipple is not really that low and you can see normal breast skin below it which is good.  Choosing a slightly larger implant with a dual plane approach would be a good way to offset the minor ptosis in your breast.  Remember a small lift can always be done later if you are unhappy with the shape or nipple position, but from what I can see in the photos this is unlikely to be needed.  Hope that helps.  Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Lift or No Lift

+1

The pictures are helpful.  Your measurements would be helpful.  Whether you will be happy without a lift is hard to determine.  I do not think you will need a lift and if you do then it would be a very small lift. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Lift or augmentation?

+1

Hello. The answer to this question depends on the look you’re going for. If you want to look more youthful with perky breasts that have full upper poles then I would definitely recommend the lift. Just an augmentation would result in more natural looking breasts that most likely sit lower on the chest and wont have the fullness at the upper poles. It really depends on the look you are going for. The trade off with the lift is that they typically result in more scars.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD