Is a Lift Required or Needed with Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I am the mom of 3 and have lost about 100# over the last 2 years. I am 5'8" and 180 and still working on the last 20#. I want to get silicone implants but really would prefer to avoid a lift if at all possible. I have been advised that it would be necessary for the best results. My biggest issue is of course is that after childbirth and losing weight they are "empty" I would like to make them fuller. I am currently a 38 B/C and would like to be a Full D. Thanks so much for all time and help!

Lift not absolutely necessary for you

+2

Hi there-

I do not think (based on what I know) that a lift would be absolutely necessary for you to achieve a pleasing and round breast contour...

Bu this is not to say that an implant without a lift would necessarily achieve you goals...

Your best bet is to visit a talented and experienced plastic surgeon for a careful evaluation, discussion of your goals and options and a physical examination with review of the possible outcomes from the options available.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

You are on that fine line between needing and not needing a breast lift

+2

From your photos alone a breast augmentation alone will likely result in a good result.  Since you do seem to have some breast fold and areola position asymmetry you opt to have your plastic surgeon perform a purse-string mastopexy in addition to your breast augmentation.  This can be performed at the same time or later on as a second procedure if you so chose.  The key to a purse-string mastopexy is that it should utilize a permanent internal suture and its design should be done so by experienced hands to achieve a natural and aesthetically pleasing result.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=193&StartRow=1

Is a Lift Required or Needed with Breast Augmentation?

+2

It is difficult to tell from your photos exactly where your nipple and the bottom of your breast lie in relation to your inframammary crease. This is the important determination as to whether your breast only needs to be filled out by an implant, or whether the breast is resting too low and will hang off of the implant, since the implant is behind (not IN) the breast, the bottom of the implant is at the level of the crease, and it will not fill out a breast that is hanging too low below the crease.  Again, implants do NOT lift breasts, they fill them out where they are. The fact that you are looking for a "larger' implant size works in your favor in terms of filling out your loose skin. Examination during a consultation will determine whether you need an lift as well.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift-surgery.html

Do I Need a Breast Lift?

+2

In your case a Breast Lift may not be necessary, but it depends on your desires and on the distance between the nipple and the inframammary fold. In order to get a proper opinion you need to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who can take measurements and lay out a precise plan for you.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/breast-augmentation-7001

Breast lift with augmentation

+2

Thanks for the pictures, it does help, however it is hard to comment completely without an exam. In particular I would like to understand the stretch in your tissues.  I have read many of my peers' responses and as you can tell, there are many differing opinions.  Thanks also for describing your goals, but understanding you expectations fully is the most important goal.  I believe a lift would improve shape and position but would come with financial cost and scar.  Please see another plastic surgeon in consultation to better help characterize your expectations.

Web reference: http://www.tarrantplasticsurgery.com

Is A Breast Lift Required

+2

Dear Spr100,

Thank you for the photos and congratulations on your weight loss.  Before you proceed with your surgery, I would suggest you complete your mission to loss the final 20 pounds.  This further weight loss does have the potential to cause further changes to your final breast size and shape and certainly can impact on how you choose to proceed.

While your profile photos show your nipples to be at or slightly higher than the IM fold-the place where your breast joins your chest wall-the frontal photo has your arms raised and does not show the true relation of your nipples with the IM fold.  If your nipples are at or above the fold and you are using a larger implant, then you may not need a breast lift  procedure to achieve your desired results.  A dual-plane technique with a silicone-gel implant would be my preferred technique.  However if your nipples are below the fold, then some form of lift may be needed.  A consultation with board certified plastic surgeon is needed to determine which course of treatment is best for you.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift is probable not needed

+2

Based on the pictues which are not ideal , you would get a great improvement with an augmentation alone. Your arms are up in the air which brings the breast up so it is difficult to tell if you have pseudo-ptosis or ptosis.

To avoid a breast lift I would recommend an augmentation alone and wait several months and see how they look. If you are satisfied with the looks then that is all that is important. If they then can be improved with a lift, it can be done at that time and many times the secondary breast lift does better than an aug with implants at the same time.  

Web reference: http://www.graciaplasticsurgeon.com

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

No breast lift needed

+2

Your nipples are above the level of your breast crease and with a properly dissected dual plane approach and an appropriately sized implant I doubt you will need a lift. Good luck!!!

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift is not required!

+2

In looking at your photos, a breast lift is not required.  If you want to be larger I would recommend a "dual plane" sub pectoral breast augmentation with silicone gel implants and that will get you to your D cup goals.  Beyond that, it is possible that at some point you may decide on a breast lift but not a requirement.  I frequently perform this surgery and if I know we will have to do a lift and the patient doesn't want to be too large then we do it in one surgery.  If the patient is unsure about whether they want a lift and/or they want to be a bit larger (i.e. D cup), then we "stage" the augmentation and the lift (if a lift is even necessary).  In looking at your anatomy I would think you will be fine without a lift, but you could always decide you want one later if you think the position of the nipples is too low. The dual plane release will give some degree of "internal lift".  I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.boyntonplasticsurgery.com

Lift required with implants

+2

You should make the final decision after you reach your goal weight...your photos and history suggest that you will need a lift also to avoid large but sagging breasts... A periareolar mastopexy done with the augmentation would add the benefits of a lift and keep your areolas from stretching too much from the implants.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon