I am 20, and I plan to breastfeed. Do I Need a Lift with my Implants? (photo)

I am 20, and I plan to breastfeed. I do not want ANY unnecessary complications breastfeeding someday. I went to a consultation for breast augmentation and a lady who works for the doctor said I need a lift with my implants. They would have to use the priarealo way. I've read that an damage milk ducts and cause loss of sensitivity. If I do not need the lift, I will get implants inserted at the fold under my boobs. Help! Do I really need a lift? I want my boobs to look natural, small Ds

Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

I cannot give a precise answer given the angle at which the picture was taken.  I will say that there is nipple areolar asymmetry, which may lower the threshold for performing a periareolar lift.  I would say that the main sensation to the breast comes in laterally from T3 and T4 and comes from the pec fascia up to the nipple areola complex.  The skin incisions have little effect.  In addition, the ducts should not be cut in the infraareoalar approach if done correctly.  Therefore, breast feeding should not be altered. 

Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Although I cannot provide you with precise advice based on the single photograph, it is very likely that a breast lift is not “necessary” in your case. Of course, better quality frontal and side view pictures would be helpful.

You should also consider the timing of breast surgery. If at all possible, if you are considering having pregnancies in the relatively near future, wait on having the breast surgery.

Make sure you seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant good quality work to you. Communicate your goals clearly; in my practice I find the use of goal pictures very helpful for this purpose.

Lift or not?

+1

Thank you for your post. The photos show you're likely borderline between a breast augmentation and breast implants with a small lift, perhaps and areola lift. The only way to make a recommendation is for you ta have an examination with a PS. Good luck - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast lift not needed

+1

First, your surgical recommendation should come from the surgeon who's going to operate on you, not the lady worker in the office. Based on the photo, it appears that you do not need a breast lift at this time. Just augmentation alone should be fine. You do, however breast asymmetry in that the right breast appears larger and fuller than the left breast. You may have to get different implant sizes to adjust for the difference between two sides. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who will personally give you the appropriate recommendation as well as doing the surgery.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Breast feeding and breast surgery.

+1

You state that you do not want ANY procedure that could complicate breast feeding.  I would advise you not to have ANY breast surgery until after you have had children.  Although it is difficult to think  an implant under the muscle inserted through an incision in the breast fold could influence nursing, it could especially if the breast sensation was altered.  Also, your implanted breast could get really huge and make nursing very difficult and uncomfortable for you and your baby.  If nursing is that important to you, wait until your nursing days are over.  Just sayin'.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Do you need a lift

+1

you appear borderline as far as needing a lift or not.  The thing that would bother me is that recommendation was made by the doctor's employee and not the doctor him or herself.  This is a judgment that should only be made by a surgeon, not an office employee.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Lift

+1

you should be evaluated by the surgeon who will be performing the surgery. It takes years of experience and a real examination with measurements to make this type of determination

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

It does not appear that you need a lift

+1

Your photo appears to show that your nipples are well-positioned above your breast crease and that you have good skin tone, so I don't think you would need a lift at all.  A personal exam is needed, of course, to be sure.  Be sure you're getting your consultation advice (the FINAL advice) from the surgeon, not a staff member.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Do my breasts need to be lifted?

+1

I so agree that you should only see the surgeon for a diagnosis and recommendation! See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in difficult cosmetic breast surgery issues. Your breasts appear to be naturally low, elongated and definitely asymmetric. I would not do a breast lift but if it appeared you would get a lift from the implants, then I would release and possibly reshape the breasts at the breast/chest wall interface allowing them to be lifted better by the implants. There is also a device called the Allure system that lifts the breasts using a minimally invasive technique using anchor sutures. While there are small incisions with this, you might consider consulting with a surgeon who has some experience using this keeping in mind that it is new to the practice of cosmetic breast surgery.  

David R. Stephens, MD

Lift with Augmentation?

+1

Did you see the surgeon? It looks from your picture that your breasts are different shapes and sizes. I would not say you need a lift based on your picture. I would make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. It sounds like a nurse or some office staff is telling you what you need and not the surgeon.

Richard J. Brown, MD