Is a Lift with a Lot of Scarring my Only Option? (photo)

I had five children in seven years and breastfed them all. I always had fairly large breasts even when I was very thin, but having babies took a serious toll on my body and I have been researching lifts. I know they aren't tiny now but I do miss having perky breasts that were the same size and not empty, what scares me is the scarring. Is that the only option?

Is a breast lift my only option?

+2

Thanks so much for your question. I think that based on  your photos the only option that will give you perky breasts is a full mastopexy. It looks as though your breasts are large and I think with out a full lift the weight of your breasts will not allow for a perky appearance. Hope this helps. 

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Your scarring should be very acceptable.

+2

Hi nosnowhite.  You should not be afraid of the scarring.  In most cases, the scars left after a properly performed mastopexy are very acceptable.  If you have not developed bad scars from your piercings, you should be pleased with the trade of a perkier breast shape for soft, fine scars.  Good luck

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Scars with mastopexy incisions are generally quite favorable.

+2

Properly performed mastopexy usually results in scars that are extremely acceptable. There is of course individual variation so some uncertainty exists. Except for a breast lift or mastopexy I don't think you have any other options.

Breast Lift

+2

You have a number of options which will depend on your current anatomy.  Breast lift plastic surgery can improve the profile of sagging breasts, making breasts look more youthful and perky.Breast lift surgery is done to improve the profile of sagging breasts, changing their position on the body to appear more youthful.  I've posted an ABC news videoclip for my preferred breast lift technique for you.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Scarring Doesn't Have to Be Excessive

+1
Good question. Based on your photos, I would say a breast lift would be the best option to help you achieve your goal of perkier breasts. There are several different incision options for breast lift surgery. You should see a board-certified surgeon for an in-office consultation, and be sure to ask about whether you are a candidate for a periareolar incision, which traces around the areola. Because of its location, the resulting scar is nearly invisible, but it's not appropriate for every patient. A qualified surgeon can evaluate you and make a recommendation. Good luck!

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Minimal scarring lift

+1
There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift. The technique hides the incisions at the areola-skin junction and in the shadow of the breast. Your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. At the same time, your asymmetry can be corrected by reducing the slightly larger right breast, if that is desired. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your description and the photos.  Yes, it seems your option is a full anchor lift.  However, the scars really depend on your genetics.  I have had patients undergo full anchor lift with totally invisible scars, and I have had ones with significant scars.  It is not predictable, but an experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will do whatever that is available to minimize your scarring.  Hope this helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Breast lift

+1

Pretty much a breast lift is your best option, even though it does involve scars. Only you can determine whether the scars involved are worth it to have your breasts lifted.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is a Lift with a Lot of Scarring my Only Option?

+1

Based on your photos, I think a full mastopexy is really the only way to achieve the perky breasts you desire. Many patients are nervous about the scarring of a breast lift but these scars are hardly noticeable after 1 year. Most patients are very happy with their decision of trading faint scars for perky, youthful breasts. I hope this answer helps. Good luck!

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Lift with Scarring

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   Unfortunately, with cosmetic surgery, we have to be willing to accept an incision in order to get the best shape, size, and symmetry to the breasts.

In your case, you would needs a circumvertical/lollipop breast lift with an auto-augmentation of your existing tissue.   There are several scar treatment options to assist with the healing process.  I would recommend consulting with  a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options and to carefully review your scar treatment plan.

Paul S. Gill, MD