To Lift or Not to Lift - That is the Question? (photo)

38 yo, mother of 4 - breastfed 3 of them. Going in for an augmentation with saline, under the muscle, in January. I am wondering if I am in need of a lift as well. I don't want upper pole, I am going for a very natural look (420cc) and as many women say, I would prefer not to have the scars from a lift. That being said, I do want to avoid going in for a revision anytime soon. So - I would love to hear opinions on whether or not you think I need a lift. Thank you.

Lift or just implants?

+2

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Although, no substitute for a physical exam, your pictures would suggest that you do not need a breast lift. You appear to have significant skin laxity and deflation that will be improved with a breast implant. Given the very thin nature of your breast, you may wish to discuss the option of a silicone gel implant with your board certified plastic surgeon.  With such a thin skin envelope, you will be much more likely to see and feel your implants if you choose the saline option.  Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lift not necessary

+1

Since your nipples appear to be above the fold, you should have a better result with fewer scars if you simply fill out the breast skin with an implant.  Let us know how your surgery goes!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Lift

+1

Your pictures show no ptosis and post partum involution of the breast. It does not appear that you would need alift at this time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Lift or No Lift in Deflated Breasts?

+1

Any time a breast is extremely deflated and that is the only reason for the nipple areola complex to be low, breast implants alone are appropriate.

To Lift or Not to Lift - That is the Question

+1

Try with the implant, with this volume it is possible to minimize the ptosis, after one year, you can see if it is enough o you need mastopexy .

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Lift or no lift

+1

I say go with a vertical lift with a lollipop scar.  Don't go for the so called crescent or donut lifts.  They do not provide much lift and will stretch out your areolae.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast augmentation Lift or no lift?

+1

From your photo it looks like you would not need a lift and really just need to be pumped up again with the breast implants. Silicone would probably be the best option for you since it seems you have relatively thin skin.

David E. Kim, MD

Wanting to avoid another surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. Following pregnancy, whether to do a breast lift or not is something that can be difficult to diagnose, but the nipple position, the quality of the skin and breast tissue as well as the position and amount of breast glandular tissue are clues to help to determine the best procedure. Through breastfeeding three kids, your breast tissue has thinned out. You also appear to be a thin woman. Your breasts move out towards the side of your chest, indicating that you have a round shape to your ribs/chest contour. At 38, your body is starting to loose collagen and your skin is likely going to thin out over the years. I think that you only need an augmentation. Looking at the lack of breast tissue you have, I would recommend that you use silicone over saline implants, due to their softness and improved shape and definitely go below the muscle. Saline implants have higher surface tension, more rippling and visibility, and they thin out breast tissue throughout the years. It is hard to recommend an implant size without more information and examining you. 

David R. Stephens, MD

No Lift Needed, However, Reassess Implant Choice.

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question and photos.

I can tell you 100% that you do not need a lift.  Your nipples are well above the breast crease and the extra skin will fill out nicely with the implants.  However, do to your thin frame and low body fat, the saline implants will not be a good choice for you.  I would have a frank discussion with your plastic surgeon regarding silicone implants.  The Saline implants will feel unnatural since you have very little tissue to cover them.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift not needed

+1

Based on your photos, it would appear that breast implants alone will fill out your breast skin and raise the nipple area to an appropriate and pleasing position on the breast mound.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a reasonable idea of what to expect after examining you in person.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon