Is There a Lift That Only Involves Cutting Skin?

Im 29 and don't have sagging skin. I like the exotic look of when i have a ponytail and i'd like to permanantly have that (i.e. my eyes are pulled upward and it pulls my cheeks upward and lessens my nasolabial lines). Is there a lift that cuts skin in the temple and stiches it back tighter?

Lifts that only removes skin

+1

There is a temporal lift that can be performed, however, most of the time it is not performed on 29-year-old patients. The problem with removing skin only is that the skin will have a stretch back phenomenon and you will not only have a long scar, but you will be right back to your pre-surgery state. It is not a good idea to have eyes and cheeks pulled back because you will look like you came out of a wind tunnel.

A temple lift for more exotic eyes and cheeks

+1

Very young individuals who seek to alter the structure of the mid-face and the angle or tilt of the lower lids, rarely is a skin lift procedure adequate. In these re-structuring procedures a number of options may be available to achieve your aesthetic goals. Simpler procedures like cheek implants or mid-face volume injections can create a more exotic malar-cheek sweep and lower canthal (corner of the eye) repositioning can alter slightly the angle of the eye and the narrowness of the eyelid. Other more extensive mid-face procedures, such as mid-face lifts or even breaking and moving the mid face and orbital bone can alter the mid-face shape. All of these procedures come with risks and benefits and seeking the advice of an craniofacial aesthetic expert(s) will be in your best interest. Of course, where you hair tight in a pony tail costs nothing and comes with no risk

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Lifts Cutting Only Skin

+1

A lift can be done cutting only skin, but the patient's response is predictable. Immediately after surgery the patient feels her doctor walks on water, but a couple months later is disappointed because the improvement is short-lived. A deeper temporal lift could be done; however the change would be subtle in a 29 year old lady.

Temple lift is minimal with skin or scalp only

+1

I agree with the rest of the panel.  The temple lift is the approach you describe, but its results are pretty subtle and likely temporary.  Just like all facial procedures, we try to minimize tension on the incision closure in order to provide the best scar results.  So deeper dissection and/or support/elevation stitches are strongly advised. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes there are lifts that involve only cutting of skin.

+1

At 29 without excess skin you will NOT get what you want. The body will make wide scars if to much tension is placed on the skin. See an experienced facelift surgeon who can guide you.

Skin ONLY LIMITED Facelifts

+1

Face lifts have been done openly and techniques were published since the early 20th century. The earliest techniques involved the lifting and pulling of skin  with hiding the scar in the hairline or in the crease in front of the ear.

The problem with ALL such techniques and their descendants is that skin SUCKS as a building and support material. If placed under too much tension, the blood supply stops flowing and it dies, lesser tension results in wide horrible scarring and when appropriate tension is put on it the skin ALWAYS stretches causing in loss of the smoothness in less than a year in some cases.

The less experienced the surgeon, the more he/she will sell/push a skin only technique. Most real Plastic surgeons understand the poor nature of such lifts and prefer leaving them to the history books.

Browlift or facelift through hairline incisions

+1

There are several variations of browlift done through incisions in the hair. Many undermine the tissue before elevation using an endoscope. Others simply undermine much like a facelift. All get good, relatively long lasting results. They also will achieve some lift of the cheek. To get significant elevation of the cheek, however, you have to loosen the entire cheek.

This requires a full endoscopic facelift using an incision in the mouth also. For someone your age, a MACS Facelift or similar procedure is more reliable and safe. The incision for this is in the hair except for right in front of the ear, and here it hides in the normal crease or inside the ear.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

There are temporal lifts that can elevate the lateral parts of your eyebrow and eye

+1

There are temporal lifts that can elevate the lateral parts of your eyebrow and eye. These lifts do entail excising, or cutting, skin. But they also entail lifting the muscle or some form of plicating the muscle like a pleat to lift the muscle. The elevation of the muscle gives the lift some longevity. I understand the question that you are asking. But from the answers of the doctors, I can see that they are interpretating your question literally and that might be limiting their answer.

Yes, you can lift the skin, but with the lift in order to ensure that you can create some longevity, you should also work on the muscle. These lifts can lift your lateral eyebrow and also lift the corner of your eye as well (although this can be more difficult and complicated. Also there are special lifts that pull up on the muscles on the sides of your eyes that can help with the overall lift. This procedure is not as well known to plastic surgeons. This can improve crows feet.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin only lifting procedures

+1

Typically, procedures that only address removal and suspension of skin are short lived at best typically measured in terms of years when you are younger and sometimes last only one to two years. There are alternative lifting procedures that can be done to achieve the looks you desire and I would recommend consulting a physician in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temporal brow and facelifts

+1

There are some lifts done with only incisions in the temple area but these will definitely won't be "permanent."  You might get a few years out of them at best.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS