Do I Need a Lift As Well As Implants?

Recently had a consultation with a plastic surgeon in regards to a breast augmentation. To my surprise he said that I required a lift as well as implants. Also, I feel that one side is lower than the other and am not sure what difference in CCs... or what size CCs I should get. The doctor suggested 350-400 ccs as I wanted to go to a full C or D. I would like a second, third, ANY opinions from doctors in regards to this.

Breast augmentation plus lift?

+1

Based on your pictures along I think you would benefit from breast augmentation possibly with a limited mastopexy done on the right side to improve symmetry.

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

To Lift or Not To Lift

+1

I generally agree with all the comments so I don't think anything I could say will add to this.  I think it is important to decide based on the look you want, the scars you will get, the size you want to determine the best approach for your surgery.  Find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your town and go have a visit.

Steven Holzman, MD

Breast augmentation with or without lift

+1

I believe you could have a nice result with augmentation alone. And considering you want to be a D cup I think the augmentation is a reasonable procedure. You will need a larger implant to get lift. I believe you would need an implant close of the 500 mL which would put you into a real D cup.

I don't think you have a large size discrepancy between breast, I think the shapes are slightly different, the right fold is lower than the left fold and the right nipple is more lateral left. Everyone has discrepancies between the breast this is normal.

The result that can be achieved with the augmentation alone would require a high-profile implant a natural appearing breast, shapes will still be slightly different and you will not have an augmented Pam Anderson look.

Wendell Perry, MD

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

It is always difficult to give a definitive answer based on photographs alone as the quality of the breast tissue along with specific measurements help in decision making.  Breast augmentation alone will increase the overall size of your breasts and give you more upper breast fullness.  However, differences in breast appearance between the two sides can be magnified.  So the fact that you notice a difference between your breasts already, it is unlikely to change even if slightly different size implants are placed.  The actual size of implants can not be determined without making breast measurements.

A breast lift performed in conjunction with an augmentation does allow better control in the shape of the final breast.  It also allows the surgeon to achieve better symmetry.  The drawback is that more scars are placed on the breast (most likely) and there can be increased risks with healing because of the presence of the implants (especially if larger ones are placed).  Another option is to perform the augmentation first and see what your result looks like.  A breast lift can be performed safely as a second stage.  The drawback of course is another procedure and potentially increased cost.

Looking at your pictures and the side profile, it does appear that your nipple on the left is well above the fold at the bottom of your breast.  Based only on that view, I do believe an augmentation may be sufficient for your needs.  Again, a full exam and consultation would be needed for a definitive answer.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Breast augmemntation and mastopexy

+1

With your question and the pictures along with it I knew it would generate many opinions. Let me start with the size. For many years I have use what we call a "try on session". It takes another few minutes but your ability to communicate size with your surgeon is dramatically improved. all it takes is a bra and a T-shirt with various sized implants and you'll have an excellent concept of what it will look like. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to doing a lift along with the implant. Looking at your pictures there is a very good chance that you will not need a lift at all. If after things settle a year later if you do request some form of lift it will certainly be less than if it were done along with the original surgery and therefore less scarring, (and a lot less money). At this point you have enough opinions to be totally confused. Good luck with your decision.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Lift As Well As Implants?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Based ONLY upon those photos I recommend at least a 450 cc HP implant and a right donut lift. You may need a secondary operation to attain better symmetry. 

Breast implants without a lift

+1

A breast lift means breast scars, and if the nipple is above the fold the implant naturally will tend to push the nipple higher and round out the breast. My vote is for the implants alone, and don't focus on the number. Find what you like, use photos for the look you want, and make sure your surgeon understands your goal.

peterejohnsonmd

Lift with implants

+1

In my opinion, you would do well with a lift and an implant.  A lift will afford better symmetry and help move the breasts higher on the chest wall and sometimes closer together. I would reiterate what Dr. Rand says in that implants alone merely make what you already have bigger. 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift And Augmentation Can Go Hand-in -Hand

+1

Based on your photographs, it is hard to say whether you would need the lift or not.  It would really just depend on what your ideal final outcome is.  Implants will make you larger, provide a better shape to the breasts and better overall look, but they would still be uneven with regards to nipple poistion.  A lift on both sides would help raise the nipple/areola up a little on both sides and allow you to achieve better symmetry.  It is impossible to recommend implant size without examining you, since it all depends on your breast width, chest width, and tissue characteristics.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift ---maybe not

+1

I certainly appreciate your concerns and would advise getting another opinion from board certified plastic surgeons.  It is to give to you good answer without a thorough examination. I can tell that your breasts are widely spaced and the right breast is a little lower than the left.  Your nipple point forward but I would determine the location of the nipples in relation to your breast fold. If they they are below this level I would recommend an appropriate mastopexy with breast implants. It would probably be a lollipop lift and at the same time the difference in nipple height could be corrected. No surgeon can guarantee an implant size and when a mastopexy is performed at the same time, it is important not to use an overly large implant to avoid wound healing problems.

Richard Linderman, MD