Do I Need a Lift? and Would a Cresent with Implants Be Enough?

OK measurments. droop 9" so 22 or 23 cm and BWD is 4.75" so 11.875cm (this is home measurment) NOW with the droop do I NEED a lift to have nice perky full breasts (yes a pencil will stay in place under breast) I am 5'4" tall and about 127-132 lbs (depending on time of year) I do not want a fake look but do LOVE the full round look. (Brook Burke is a favorite) 42 years old, 4 children and 80 lb weight loss 16 years ago. used rice sizers 325 and 350 looks great.but I dont know. also doing a TT

Based on your photos, I vote for a vertical lift with your implants.

+2

I don't think a periareolar lift will lift you enough.  If a periareolar lift is asked to do too much, it really flattens the breast and results in a weird, unnatural shape.  Think of this as a periareolar lift turning an Egyptian pyramid into an Aztec pyramid.  If you were my patient, I would offer an augmentation and a vertical lift with the knowledge that this combination of procedures may require a revision to get it "just right".

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Breast lift without implants

+1

Hi Tirby,

May I suggest another option. If you just want to be lifted without implants then I would use a technique called the "Ultimate Lift". In patients like yourself, I would take your existing breast tissue and make an internal cone that simulates an implant. Then, I take your excess skin and make 'bra straps' to permanently attach them to your chest muscles so that your lift is permanent.  I have found that with patients like yourself that have minimal breast tissue and excess skin are very happy with this technique.

FYI to consider: Implants are heavy and with time always stretch out muscles/skin.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift: needed or not

+1

Based on your photos, you will get the best result with breast lift with implants.  A vertical mastopexy would give you a nice shape, but of course would mean some scars on the breast.  The crescent lift or circumareolar lift is really only a reasonable option in a small percentage of patients who just need a little bit of lifting. Of course, a consultation with a ABPS certified surgeon is necessary. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Good candidate for breast lift and tummyt tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided, you are a great candidate for a breast lift and tummy tuck. A mastopexy (breast lift) with implants would provide you with a perkier and fuller look. This procedure involves reshaping and lifting the nipple-areola complex.
A tummy tuck would improve the appearance of your abdomen area. This procedure involves rectus muscle repair and removal of the majority of loose, excess skin in the abdominal region. Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..  Some places have you put bags of rice or implants in your bra – that is normally not very accurate.

Crescent mastopexy

+1
From your photos, you are on the border between a simple breast implant or a mastopexy with implant. You would get the nicest shape with a mastopexy and a modest size implant but it would involve some scars. As far as the crescent mastopexy is concerned, I abandoned this operation a long time ago and advise against it. It provides virtually no lift to the breast but also it tends to really stretch the areola. I have seen some where the areola turns out three inches or more in diameter and really looks weird. Your abdomen would benefit greatly from a full tummy tuck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tear Drop Lift is right for you.

+1

You need a lift as part of any enlargement, but do not need a vertical scar component. I perform a circumareolar augmentation mastopexy called a tear drop lift. See my photos to see the great results.

A high lateral tension abdomenoplasty will also give you a great shape.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Do I need a Breast Lift?

+1

This is a very common question and most surgeons may have several different takes on the subject.  I would say that you are a great candidate for a verticle breast lift with augmentation.  The 350-375cc implants that you liked would be a great size to give you the nice round but natural look you want. The crescent lift would be the wrong choice for you.

Having the breast procedure in combination with an abdominal tummy tuck would be ideal and you seem to be a great candidate for both of these procedures.  Often, surgeons will discount the procedures if you do them together versus each one alone.  Good Luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Only a breast lift will give you lifted perky breasts

+1
Yes you do need a full lift. Using implants alone will give you volume and may look great in a bra, but without a bra you are only going to see your droopy breasts, just fuller.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Mommy makeover - tummy tuck and breast lift/breast implants

+1

You would clearly benefit from breast lift, breast augmentation and a tummy tuck. As important as holding the pencil under the breast is what is the relation of nipple level to that of the pencil when it is place at the top of the fold. Posting on Realself is not a substitute for a personal face to face consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon. Unless you are at either end of the spectrum it is hard to say whether a crescent, circumferential, lollipop or inverted T breast lift would be best. Some patients prefer to trade off less lifting for less skin scarring/incision. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the patient goes forward with both eyes open.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Need for Lift Different techniques.

+1

If you want perky breasts, you need a lift. Implants alone will make the ptosis look worse but they will take off some slack.  Cresent or donut (circum-areolar) mastopexy may not be enough in your case. Although you can stage these procedures; getting the implants first and after a few months getting a lift;  it moght not be practcal or financially feasible for you. The way I would do it is to create the pockets under the muscle, put sizers in the pockets, sit you up on the table ( you will contiue to be under anesthesia)  and evaluate the excess skin and the location of the nipple and plan the lift.

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon