Do I Really Need a Lift First Before Implants? (photo)

I'm 28 years old with a breast size of 34b and desire a full C cup. I do not have any children but do not plan to for another 4 or 5 years. At my consultation, the surgeon advised against an augmentation due to my nipple placement. He said I have more skin above my nipple and that if I were to get an implant, my nipple may seem to point downward. He suggested a breast lift would help however I don't feel my breast are saggy.

Breast Augmentation and Lift

+3

I always offer a breast augmentation first in those patients who believe they will be happy with an augmentation only.  I give them my opinion that their breasts will look better with a lift and augmentation, but I let them make the decision.  Just make sure you seek a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Do I need a breast lift?

+2

I am in the camp that believes you do not necessarily need a lift. Once the implants have settled into their final position, the lower part of the breast (skin, breast tissue, and muscle) will stretch to some degree. This can at times give the illusion of a small lift even though the nipples have not actually moved. As long as you do not pick an implant that is too big and the implant pocket is kept above the breast fold, you should not get a double bubble effect. If nipple position is not an issue for you, don't let anyone make it an issue. If it becomes an issue later you can get a lift then. You have not "burned any bridges".

Joseph Fata, MD

Do I Really Need a Lift First Before Implants?

+2

With your already low areolas, I think you would have a better outcome with a lift done at the time same time. However, it does not seem unreasonable to just do the augmentation, and then you can decide if the outcome is not satisfactory, and you can do the lift at a time of your choosing. 

Your areolas would be low to my eyes, but perhaps completely OK to yours, and that is what matters.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Augment first

+2

First do the augmentation -- then have a life and have kids. When all is done and your breasts have sagged more, you may need a lift.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Lift Or Implants

+2

Your nipples do seem to be situated a bit low, but if you are not unhappy with their position. I would suggest first having an augmentation.  If you do not like your nipple position post-op, you can always have a secondary breast lift.

John Whitt, MD

Breast lift

+1

Hello. You may need a lift with your augmentation but it is hard to decide for sure without a proper consultation with measurements. What I can determine from these pictures is that your nipples do seem low. It is ultimately your decision to decide if this bothers you or not however and you could always get the augmentation now and get the lift later if you are unhappy with your outcome.
Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast implants

+1

I agree with your surgeon. Using only your photos to judge, it does appear that you need a lift only, or lift with implants, but not implants only.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+1

I agree with the doctor. BUT, there is ALWAYS a but, I might consider implant with donut lift + fat grafting in the inferior poles. 

Breast lift vs. only implants

+1

In my opinion, implants alone would give you a nice result.  While the position of your nipples and areolae are a bit low, breast augmentation alone should be enough to lift them.  If they are still too low for your liking, a small procedure under local anesthetic may be enough to lift them to the position you want.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon