Do I Need a Lift with Augmentation?

I am scared to death to have a lift not to mention it being more expensive to have done. i have done some research and wanted to know if just having an implant would help lift some. I dont want to do anything about my areola.

Do I need a lift with breast augmentation?

+2

From your photos, it is apparent that your breasts hang significantly below your inframammary crease, and your nipples are at the bottom of the breast and down-pointing. (This is assessed when your arms are down at your sides.)  Implants fill out your breasts, but they do not truly "lift" the breast.  The bottom of your implant would be at the level of the inframammary crease, and therefore any tissue hanging below this level would hang off of the implant and not be filled out.  This creates a "double bubble" or "snoopy" breast, and is not a good look!  Also, since the nipple is below the crease, and in fact at the very bottom of the breast, it will be so far below the "equator" of the implant that they will look even lower and point even more downward.  From what I can tell from your photos, your breasts would NOT achieve any type of satisfactory shape from an augmentation alone without a lift.  The scars from a lift generally do well, and a breast with a pleasing contour with some visible faded scars is usually preferable to breasts without visible scars that have a displeasing and unnatural shape.

Breast augmentation vs augmentation and breast lift

+2

Unfortunately, a breast augmentation by itself will not significantly lift the breasts or nipples.  From your photos, I believe you will require some type of a breast or nipple lift along with the augmentation.  You can have an augmentation without the lift, but I believe you will be unhappy with the shape of the breast and the position of the nipples.  Please note that if you do the augmentation without the lift and subsequently choose to have the breast lift, it will probably be more costly than having both procedures performed at the same time.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Yes you would need a lift!

+1

From the photos it is obvious that you have severe ptosis (droopiness) of your breasts as evidenced by the low position of your nipples. In order for you to get the results that you want I agree with the other doctors you would need a lift with the augmentation. 

Best of Luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift?

+1

Even with your arms elevated for the photos, your nipple position is still pretty low.  When you arms are down, it looks like the nipple is below the level of the infra-mammary crease....suggesting that you have significant breast ptosis.

Yes, if you want the best breast shape possible, I think you will need a lift, together with your desired implant.

The implants, by themselves, will not lift the breast or lift the nipple reliably, even with large or high profile sizes.  

Thomas Fiala, MD

A lift will be the best option for you

+1
You can consider a dual plane augmentation with a implant, however the position of your nipple/areola will continue to be low, you will need to discuss the size of the implant with you surgeon, you can always do the lift in a second surgery. When done in a single surgery you save little money, but you recover only once that is the advantage. You need to see board certified plastic surgeons, better if they are members of the American society for aesthetic plastic surgery. Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation With/Without Lift

+1

Your nipples appear to be slightly below your inframammary crease which generally indicates that you would benefit from a lift or mastopexy.  You can always have an augmentation initially and then, if you are not happy with the result, undergo a small vertical lift as a secondary procedure.

John Whitt, MD

Do I Need a Lift with Augmentation?

+1

Based solely on the posted photos I would recommend a full or L shaped lift with HP implants. Best to see 3 boarded PSs in your area. 

Surgery Not Recommended

+1

On careful study of your photographs, and with a clear understanding of your concerns, in my opinion surgery is not a good idea for you.  You have a significant amount of ptosis (hanging of the breast) with a substantial amount of breast below the inframammary crease, as well as very large areolae.  If you were to only put in implants without a lift, you would get a very unsatisfactory result:  the present breasts that you have would look like they were hanging off the implants.  This would be unacceptable for you or your surgeon.  However, if you presented this situation without the limitation of your concerns, I would 1)put in appropriately sized smooth round silicone gel implants  2)lift the breasts and telescope them onto the new implants  3)reduce the size of your areolae to a more normal 3.8 cm in diameter.  Your own concerns are prohibiting you from getting the results that would likely make you happy.  I wish you the best. 

Barry Weintraub, MD

Breast lift and breast implants

+1

Breast implants alone are unlikely to give you a result you are happy with. Your posted photos are taken with your arms above your shoulders. That makes it impossible to accurately assess your current situation. All one can see is there is some breast drooping because even with the arms raised the nipples still lie below the level of the under the breast skin crease. Clearly something needs to be done to the breast tissue at the time of breast implant placement in order to achieve an optimal result. What is not so clear is what exactly should be done.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

You need to have lift

+1
I would agree with the other plastic surgeons that you need lift. You have a lot of extra skin that implant can not fill it. If you are so afraid of the lift surgery, please do not shop around till you find a surgeon to do the augmentation alone.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon