Lift & Augmentation or Augmentation Only?

Hello my name is Angela..i recently had a consult with a PS and he recommended that i have both a lift and an argumentation. However with some research of my own i saw that some women with similar breast types as mine had an augmentation (only)that looked well enough without the added scaring of a lift. Would an implant above the muscle be the best choice to add a little lift with fullest or do i certainly must have the lift as well? Thanks

Breast Lift/Augmentation or Just Augmentation

+2

Based on your photos, the right breast seems to have a little more loose skin with sagging and the nipple is lower, an asymmetry that is not uncommon. I would recommend trying breast augmentation alone using a dual plane technique, which will accomodate small amounts of sagging. After 6 months, if you are happy then you are all set. If not then at most you would need a peri-areolar lift to reposition the nipples and take up any loose skin. If you take this approach, you have not "burned any bridges" and you may save yourself the extra scar.

Breast Lift?

+1

If you don't mind the asymmetry of the breasts, then you do not need a lift.  In truth, no woman's breast are symmetric and this is considered the norm.  Also, with just an augmentation, your board-certified plastic surgeon can perform a "dual-plane type three" elevation on the left side and improve the difference quite a bit without a lift.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

To lift- or not to lift

+1

Hi Angela! Depending on the amount of sag (ptosis) to the breasts and the size of the implant selected, some patients are candidates for breast augmentation alone.  These patients usually have a minimal amount of drooping.  Discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon and review their before and after photos to get an idea of their surgical results.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

+1

This is a very common problem  seen by plastic surgeons.  In order to answer this question we really need one more piece of  information, specifically the position of your nipple relative to the infra mammary crease. (the line formed where the breast meets the chest wall).  If your nipple is below this line then an augmentation alone would leave you with a breast that looks like a "rock in a sock" and you would benefit from a lift (Mastopexy) as well as an augmentation. If your nipple is above the crease then you would obtain a satisfactory result from an augmentation alone.  The "grey" area is the patient whose  nipple is just on the crease or very slightly below it.  In this situation an augmentation combined with a lift around the nipple will give a very nice result with much less scarring than a regular lift or you could proceed with the augmentation alone and wait several months to see if you are happy.  If you are not happy you then could proceed with the lift. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Lift?

+1

I think that, if you are OK with an over-the-muscle augmentation then you can achieve a nice lift just with an implant and no lift.  I would discuss with your doctor the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation +/- lift

+1

It looks like from your photos that you could benefit from a lift and augmentation. Sometimes a circumareola lift is all that is needed which would limit the incision around the border of the areola.  Other cases may require more incisions.  An exam is critical.

Options with breast augmentation

+1

Hello Angela: Your pictures show some breast asymmetry which I'm sure your plastic surgeon discussed with you; but a face to face exam is really needed to determine other important  factors such as the thickness of your breast tissues, the elasticity of the skin, etc,; you may be happy with a well-performed dual-plane augmentation (different size implants or amount of fill may be needed) with the back-up plan as others have mentioned of a mastopexy done later if needed.  But to really address this type of asymmetry, I think you would be better served with the combination of mastopexy-augment- this could be a "limited" lift with less scar.  I would get several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons and take your time before making your decision. Best of luck

Jerry Lugger, MD

A lift and implants for a natural looking result

+1

Angie, the difference in the level of your areolas necessitates the performance of a periareolar lift on the right with the placement of the implants behind the muscle for a natural looking result of the upper pole of the breast mounds.  Periareolar scars usually heal well with little to no long term unfavorable results. Your right breast also appears to be somewhat larger so you would probably need a larger implant on the left side. Hope this helps with your decision making process.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

I am not a fan of submammary implants. (above the muscle). I think you would do better with an proper sized implant and a lift, with the scar just around the areolar from the photos. if you go real big with the implant you will save the scar but have many more headaches.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Lift or no lift

+1

You have a borderline situation. You could have augmentatio only, with implants placed under the muscle. This may be all that you need. If you desire more symmetry, then a lift with  an augmentation is the answer.  A donut lift on the left and vertical on the right may all you need. You have to discuss you concerns with your plastic surgeon and see photos of patient without lift and those who have lift. This would make you decision much easier.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD