Should Lift and Augmentation Be Done at the Same Time?

Should lift and augmentation be done at the same time?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidities to prevent such. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. Cost of these procedures will vary amongst plastic surgeons in addition to geographic location.

However, more important than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures. Without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what to recommend.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery who will discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Breast Augmentation Mastopexy Staged?

+1

This is not a question agreed-upon by all plastic surgeons. There are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately and there are good plastic surgeons who can produce excellent outcomes in a single stage.

The combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increase with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.

In my opinion, the decision  to do the operation in a single or two  staged fashion becomes a judgment call made by a surgeon after direct examination of the patient.  For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or  whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications). However, doing the procedure one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is much safer. Nevertheless, the potential risks  are greater with a 1 stage  procedure and the patient does have a higher  likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.

Breast lift and breast augmentation at the same time

+1

Breast lift and breast augmentaion can be performed at the same time.  However, if the breast is very saggy and/or the skin and breast tissue is very thin, combining to two procedures could result in an increase risk of would healing problems associated with decreased blood supply to the breast skin or nipple.    If your plastic surgeon has concerns about this, they may suggest doing the two procedures separately.   If this is the case, usually a plastic surgeon will suggest performing the breast lift first and then doing the breast augmentation a few months later.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Augmentation

+1

It is possible to perform these procedures at the same time however It is up to your board certified plastic surgeon to determine if doing these together is right for you. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation combined with lift

+1

It is possible to combine breast augmentation with breast lift in some cases.  I will avoid this combination procedure in cases of severe ptosis (breast sagging).  If the breast sagging is severe, I prefer to perform the breast lift first, followed by the breast augmentation several months later.  

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Simultaneous lift and augmentation

+1

Performing the two procedures together depends on the surgeons skill and experience. It is a difficult procedure to master and it has been the recommendation of many surgeons to do these separately. We commonly perform the procedure as a single stage thus minimizing the overall recovery and satisfying the patients desires.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Should a breast lift & augmentation be done at the same time?

+1

In patients that require both a breast lift and augmentation, (the insertion of implants), these procedures can and are usually done at the same time. In fact, often patients (usually with mild to moderate sagging) may think they need one or the other when they actually need both.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Lift and augmentation

+1

I often combine a lift and augmentation at the same time.  Some surgeons will opt to stage them especially in patients that are borderline for a lift