Do I Need a Lift and What Size Implants? (photo)

Hi, im 24 and a mother of 2 children who i breastfed for 18 months each. Both pregnancy and breastfeeding has left my breast depleted and i feel rather saggy. Im not after the porn star look, i just want to have nice perky breasts. Do i need a breast lift and what size implants will i need to fill them out again I am 1.76m and 121 pounds, I currently wear a C cup, and i wear a US size 2-4 dress size Thanks

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think you can likely get away with an implant alone and forego the lift, I often place the implant through an incision under the breast in borderline cases and perform a mini lift in the office later if needed

Breast Augmentation Without Lift Will Give You A nice Result

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. Although you have lost breast volume due to breast feeding, your nipple and areola are well above your inframammary crease, the fold beneath your breast. Therefore you do not have nipple ptosis although you have a slight amount of glandular ptosis.

You should be able to have a nice result with a simple breast augmentation without the scarring associated with a breast lift. Hopefully your surgeon can do a bi-planar approach and place your implants beneath the muscle.

The surgeon you choose should be able to help you to select an appropriate size to achieve the result that you want. If you want a natural appearance and do not want to feel too large I predict your surgeon will choose an implant between 250 cc to 350 cc. A smaller size will feel and look natural but the larger sizes will give you more fullness and likely place you into the full B or small C cup range. Go to the Mentor or Allergan websites where you can view before and after photographs of patients who have had breast augmentation and the size of implants used are also recorded.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in breast augmentation, and has a good reputation in your local community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift? Implants?

+1

I do not think you will need a lift.  I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Simultaneous lift to decrease implant size required

+1

I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to raise your breast higher on the chest wall, reshape your breast to increase upper pole fullness and increase cleavage.  At the same time, implants can be placed to increase your breasts to the desired size.  If you are size 32 or 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are size 36 or 38 each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  After you determine the size bra desired you can calculate the implant size.  I recommend the smallest implant possible because they are more stable long term and require less revisions.  Silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant high on the chest wall over the bony prominence will give you the maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Lift and What Size Implants?

+1

I agree that you will only need implants to rejuvenate your breasts.  The size will depend on what you are trying to achieve. Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation. He will examine you and measure you to see what size implant would fit on your chest.  You will try on different sizers and then review photographs of previous patients. 

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Lift and Implant size

+1

As others have stated, you do not appear to need a lift. What size your breasts will be is a very personal decision. I always ask my patients what they are looking for in the final size. They best way to communicate that is with pictures of others who have a similar body habitus and breast appearance and their result after the augmentation. Examples of these photos are through out the Internet at many sites like Loveyourlook.com and Implantinfo.com. By showing your surgeon about 3 people with a similar result will communicate with he or she what you are looking for. You will see the implant sizes that were used but the determing result is what is seen on the operating table, not the actual implant number. An approriately sized breast is one that matches your hip size and gives you balance in your overall appearance.

Hope this helps.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

What is needed - lift or implants?

+1

Thanks for your question and photo. I would advise just a breast augmentation  alone - no lift. Even a modest sized implant should restore the volume you have lost. You have a little asymmetry but so do most women. Also, it appears that you are on the thin side. For this reason I would suggest silicone gel over saline. But these are all issues you will discuss during your consultation. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

To lift or not to lift?

+1

Although a physical exam is needed to make any formal recommendations, based on your photos alone, I would likely suggest a dual plane augmentation.   An implant will likely fill in the deflated breast.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

LIft?

+1

Based on your photos, you do not need a lift.  You would benefit from breast implant to fill up the deflated breast.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lift Needed? What Size Implants?

+1

The photographs depict breasts that have lost volume after pregnancy.  The nipple areola complexes are above the inframammary fold and minimal breast gland is drooping below the fold.  Therefore, no breast lift is needed.  Implants alone will restore fullness to the breasts.  

To choose the correct size implant for a patient, I measure her chest width on each side.  This gives me the appropriate range of base diameters of implant required.  An implant that is too wide will get in the way of the patient's arms. An  implant that is too narrow will not adequately fill the breast area on each side of the patient's chest wall.  Depending upon the cup size the patient desires, I will then select the thickness or projection of the implant.  The projection is the measurement that determines how far the implants project forward from the chest wall.  Most manufactures make low, medium, and high projection implants.  Armed with the desired diameter and projection measurements, a range of appropriate implant sizes for the patient is selected. The dimensions of an implant are more important than the volume in cc's.    

Cup size is determined by the implant size in relation to the patient's size.  For instance, a 300 cc implant in a 5 foot 100 lb. patient may result in a small D cup size but only in a small C cup for a 5 foot 9 inch 130 lb. patient.  Your surgeon will use his or her experience to help you make the final implant selection, from the appropriate sizes for your anatomy, to produce a particular breast cup size.

Philip E. Fleming, MD