Having a Lift and Aug in 1 Week. Will 533cc Look Ok on Me? Will It Be Safe?

We originally were going to go with 397cc silicon mod+ implants. Then i wanted to go bigger, so we upped it to 457cc silicon mod+... Now, i want to go one more size bigger (taking in that theyre going under the muscle, and i'm having a lift... i figure the'll be a little smaller than what i get). But i dont think there's much difference between 457cc and 492cc. Would 533cc mod+ look ok on me with a lift? Is it safe? I'm almost 5'10" and Im 140 lbs, give or take.

What is the right implant size

+2

for you?  Well you should have had your surgery by now and I hope you are happy with the results.  I find it quite simple to get an idea of what size you will be by simply using gel sizers in DD cup bras when the consultation is done.  Rice in knee hi stockings can provide the same benefit of seeing what you will be like with certain size implants.  Convert cups and ounces to cc's and you should have it figured out.  Add 10% to what volume you desire and that volume will closely achieve what you looked like with the sizer in your bra.  Your height suggests you could easily carry that volume and I hope the results matched your goals.  

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

533cc look good on me?

+1

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are getting into a pretty large implant. Larger implants are heavier and place significant stress on the skin. Further they can require a lift sooner than another patient with a smaller implant. Your height and weight seems like your chest wall can tolerate that size. For most women I think that would be too big, but this is a very individualized process.  Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Going Bigger

+1

Your desires to push your selected surgeon to go bigger and bigger, is perhaps the number one reason surgeons perform this surgery with inappropriately sized implants. As a consumer, you don't know any better, but the process of informed consent should educate you.  Unfortunately, discussions regarding complications is frequently glossed over, expecially with regards to large implants.  The main problem is that there are too many surgeons unwilling to say NO to you!  The fear of loosing you to the surgeon next door is too great.

My dear, your misguided desire to run the show and turn your doctor into your very own puppet will get you into trouble.  You should do yourself a favor and find a doctor that will tell you what your limit is with regards to the size and shape of your implants. BTW, there is a very well known and clinically proven system to determine the appropriate implant based on body measurements that will decrease your risk of complications from 25% to 3%.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implants and a lift

+1

Without an exam it is difficult for me to tell you whether one implant will look better than another. You shoudl discuss this with your surgeon.  Remember the lareger you go, the more likely early problem can develop.

Breast Implant Size for Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

Unfortunately, online consultation  will not be able to help you determine the appropriate size implants for your situation and goals.

In my practice,  our routine is as follows:

1. Clear communication with the patient regarding her goals. I prefer the use of goal pictures to communicate.  Discussing cup size and or use of words such as “natural” can be misleading and a source of confusion.

2.  Intraoperatively,  I use a “tailor tacking” technique that allows me to determine what breast implant should be used to SAFELY produce the results the patient is looking for. This technique involves use of a temporary sizer and temporary “closure” of the overlying breast skin over the sizer. 

The use of the tailor tacking technique is very helpful.  Breast lifting involves removal of skin ( and tightening of the breast skin envelope)  while breast augmentation involves expansion of the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate  size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications.

Therefore, in your situation, I suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon and allow him/her to use his/her best judgment as to what breast implant size/profile will best achieve your goals while emphasizing safety and avoidance of complications. Often, the decision of what breast implant will best serve these purposes is best made during surgery ( not before).