Will I Need a Lift After Explantation?

I was a 32A before BA, and now am a 32C/D. I've had 360cc salines subglandular for 5 yrs now. I had a baby and breastfed Nov 2008 and now I'm 25. I'm pretty sure I have good skin elasticity. I'm torn between just removing them, or removing with a lift. Really scared about the necrosis risk involved with the lift at the same time. What are your experiences with removing implants and not performing a lift? I don't want the added scars/cost/surgery/risks if I don't really need it.

Breast Appearance After Implant Removal?

+1

Thanks for the question.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be helpful.

Breast lift may be required after breast implant removal

+1

This is hard to say without examining you, but you may need a lift after implant removal.  The type of lift will be determined by how saggy your breasts are after implant removal.  Many times, you'll have to go into the operating room with the possibity of needing a lift as we can only really see how your breasts will settle once the implants are out.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Removal - Will I Need a Lift After Explantation?

+1

The simplest approach is to just remove them - and see.

Your body will tell you ultimately what you'll be happy with.  Of course, nobody wants those scars, so the question is how likely you are to be happy with what you'll look like.  That can be assessed with a photo and, most of all, by your plastic surgeon.  If it is absolutely clear that you'll be miserable, then you should probably go ahead and do the lift.  Your surgeon should be able to guide you on that.

If there's any question, though, do only the removal at this point, wait six months, and reassess.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Will I need a lift after implant explantation

+1

Just a history of pregnancy and breastfeeding often creates loose breast skin and tissue which has the tendency to look saggy and deflated, and removing an implant that has stretched the tissue may make this even worse.  As the other surgeons noted, it's hard to say without a physical exam or at least a photo.

Although performing a lift at the time of explantation carries a small risk of skin or nipple necrosis/healing problems, I perform these surgery together and feel that it is safe depending on the technique used.  A good option if you are concerned and want to possibly avoid scars would be to stage the procedure and remove the implants first (or deflate the saline implants in the office to get an idea).  If you don't like the way your breasts look, the lift can be done at a later stage.

Michelle Spring, MD

Breast lift concerns following implant removal.

+1

In order to give you an accurate response, a thorough physical exam is necessary. In general, explantation may need a lift if the elasticity of the skin is inadequate. However, a breast lift at the same time as an explantation is far less risky procedure than an augmentation and a lift. One simple option is to stage the procedures or if the implants are saline, to have them deflated in the office to assess the need for a lift.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after implant removal

+1

Without an exam or at least photos it is hard to say. If you are not sure what you want then just remove the implants first and allow things to setlle down.  You then can have the lift at a later time.

Will I need a lift?

+1

It is difficult to say definitively. Studies and personal experience show that the majority of patients will return to their preoperative or acceptable shape with implant removal. In several of our patients, we have offered implant deflation by puncturing the implant with a surgical needle in the office. This allows the patient to determine what the result will look like and if this is acceptable to them without undergoing surgery.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon