Life long lasting procedure: +- 4 mm genioplasty vs smallest anatomic/contour chin implant? (photo)

Im a male, 27 years old, and have a very mildly weak chin and jawline that I wish were stronger. Drawing a vertical line from the lower lip my chin is 4-5 mm behind. I ve photoshopped me with submental liposuction. I would want a life long lasting procedure to bring the chin a little bit forward and improve my jawline. Something subtle. Is a 4 mm advancement genioplasty worth it? What size is the smallest anatomic/contour chin implant in mms of added projection?

Life long lasting procedure: +- 4 mm genioplasty vs smallest anatomic/contour chin implant?

+1
A chin implant would very much improve your profile.  Chin liposuction may be appropriate as well.  There are other factors to consider besides the number of mm including lip competence and the depth of the labiomental sulcus. 

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures and chin implants each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Implant or genioplasty

+1
Keep in mind that there are many analysis systems for determining proper chin projection, and dropping a line from the lower lip is just one of them.  I find that in many case projecting to that line is too much.  Yet, 3-4mm in your case would be appropriate augmentation.  While we perform both chin augmentation with implants and bony genioplasty, I prefer implants as they provide a more optimal contour in the lateral or outer part of the chin, while genioplasty can leave a slight depression which can be more noticeable with aging.  It's ok to only move the chin out a few mm's!

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Surgery

+1
Both a genioplasty and a chin implant would help improve your chin profile and restore balance to your face.  In younger patients (before their 50s-60s), I prefer a genioplasty, as it is a permanent solution that does not cause erosion of the chin over time - which a silicone implant will.  Both procedures are safe in experienced hands, and can give you the results you want.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Chin implant for recessive chin

+1
 Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation. The Implants are composed of Silastic, are inserted through a sub mental approach usually under local anesthesia. Submental liposuction can also be performed at the same time if needed.