Lower Lid Blepharoplasty Post-op Questions

I just had a lower lid blepharoplasty with a micro fractional laser treatment. It has been 9 days after surgery and I feel like most of my swelling and bruising has gone away but my lower lids were left asymmetrical. My right eye (your left) is a little bit more hollow then the left eye (your right). The doctor said that it will even out so to give it time but how long should I wait before I should start seeing a difference on my lower lids evening out? what should I do in the meantime?

Lower eyelid surgery uneven after 9 days.

+2

At 9 days following a lower eyelid surgery, Laser or not, the swelling can make one eyelid look different than the other and even sections of each eyelid appear asymmetric.  The true results should be evident between 1-3 months. 

Blepheroplasty

+2

I find that the near final result in uncomplcated lower lid blepheroplasty is at 2-3 months. Many patients feel unhappy in the first few weeks. so, be patient

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Asymmetry after blepharoplasty

+2

I agree with your surgeon and would recommend trying to be patient.  Asymmetry may occur after blepharoplasty.  I would wait for 3 months before I started to get worried.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven post-op Lower lids

+2

It is very important to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions related to skin care and massaging. You are still relatively early post-op and there are no pictures to truely evaluate your asymmetry. It will take about 4 weeks before you can appreciate what your results are. If there is persistent noticible asymmetry at that time, talk to your surgeon about what he or she is able to offer you. You may need fat grafting to the hollow eye or possibly additional fat resection on the fuller eye. Many surgeons will avoid reoperating for 6-12 months but this is specific to your surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon