Will Levulan Give Me a Good Cosmetic Result?

My dermatologist recommended Levulan with blue light for sun damage. Can I also expect a good all-over result for wrinkles, evening skin tone, and collagen rebuilding? Are there any downsides to this treatment?

PDT photodynamic therapy ALA levulan for cosmetic use

+1

Although PDT is approved for treatment of pre-cancerous lesions, it also works for several other things:

1. Acne.

2. Rosacea (adult acne).

3. Sebaceous hyperplasia (enlarged oil glands)

4. Enlarged pores.

5. Overall smoothness of skin.

Photodynamic therapy

+1

Levulan combined with blue light is called photodynamic therapy. It is an excellent option for treatment of Actinic Keratoses, so called pre-cancers. After clearing these lesions, the skin often appears rejuvenated.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Levulan with lasers may give great cosmetic benefit

+1

I often perform Levulan treatments for sun damaged skin but I combine an IPL (intense pulsed light) device or a pulsed dye laser with the blue light for improved cosmesis.  These laser and light devices will improve facial redness, blotchy dyspigmentation and brown spots allowing for an improved overall appearance to the skin.  I almost never use the blue light alone with Levulan if I'm treating sun damage.  Good luck.  

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Levulan is Not a Cosmetic Treatment

+1

The reason to undergo Levulan treatment is to address sun damaged skin.  There may be some minimal aesthetic improvement but it is not a cosmetic procedure.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you want cosmetic results you need to combine it with an IPL

+1

If you want cosmetic results from Levulan PDT you need to activate the chemical with a laser in addition or instead of only blue light.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon