Using Levulan for pre cancer on the face is it better to use bluelight or laser?

Can laser alone destroy pre cells?

Photodynamic Therapy Treatment for Sun Damage

+1
Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) traditionally uses the ALA (AminoLevulinic Acid), and a light source for activation, typically the blue light. In my office I like to do PDT using the ALA, Vbeam Laser and Blue Light.

The ALA is applied to the skin for 60 minutes (or longer) in that time the solution is penetrating into the skin and binding to the sun damaged cells. After the hour Vbeam is performed to improve the broken capillaries that are typically associated with sun damage, as well as activated the ALA. The last step would be the Blue Light or Red Light, this step activates the ALA that has attached to the sun damage and the activation will destroy the damaged cells.

It is important to stay out of the sun for 48 hours post procedure, even if wearing a hat and sunscreen; sun exposure of any kind is prohibited.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Levulan and Lasers

+1
Both Levulan and blue light or the Fraxel Dual laser on the 1927 wavelength will treat pre-cancers.  It really depends on the extent of pre-cancerous changes that are present and what other conditions in the skin are present.  For the best result please see a board certified dermatologist with experience in lasers.

Michele S. Green, MD

Levulan Photodynamic Therapy for precancerous lesions

+1
Depending upon the condition of your skin, I usually use both lasers and the Blu light in conjunction with Levulan kerastick application.  The Levulan and Blu light will help eradicate the precancerous lesions (actinic keratoses) and additional lasers may be added to further enhance removal as well as reduction in redness or brown spots if so desired.  I commonly use both the pulsed dye laser and the Alexandrite laser for this purpose to impart a more youthful appearance to the skin.  Good luck!

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist