Levator Palpebrae Disinsertion After 2-3 Months?

I've developed ptosis of my right eyelid over the past 2 - 3 months. I have keratoconus, had RGPs for 3 yrs. I had intacs put in my left eye in Nov. 2011. Since then, I've only worn my right RGP because I needed 6 weeks for my eye to heal and sutures to come out, then the doc was gonna take them out, so I didn't get a new left RGP made. Is it possible that the ptosis is from levator disinsertion after just 3 months of daily RGP wearing??

Caution!

+1

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir's recommendation. Ptosis surgery can expose the cornea to potential problems. I would make sure that your ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon communicate closely with your Cornea doctor so that he can have feed back regarding your care.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have an extraordinarily complicated situation.

+1

I would so recommend proceeding with caution here.  First in the photo you are more ptotic in the left upper eyelid than the right upper eyelid.  It is most likely that you have ptosis in both of the upper eyelids.  The presence of corneal pathology profoundly complicates your situation.  I would recommend taking a very conservative approach to the eyelids.  Seek several consultations with only fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons who are also board certified in ophthalmology.  Less is more here.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory which will help you find a well qualified surgeon (ASOPRS dot org).