I Had Levator Excision 15 Years Ago and Have No Symmetry Can't This Be Fixed?

I suffered from jaw wink syndrome on my left eye. I was prone to receiving horrible comments from others. So age of 10 I made the decision to have Levator excision surgery and have regretted it everyday since. Where the surgeon has sewn my eye lid open to prevent it closing, it is so tight that when I look down my right eye looks closed and my left which had the surgery is wide open! Do u no of any corrective surgery I can have on My left eye or surgery I can have on my right balance them out?

The primary gaze..

+1

With the condition like jaw wink syndrome, it is understood that any surgical procedure has to have a significant element of compromise in terms of the final result. When I take care of patients with jaw wink syndrome, I essentially focus on trying to maximize the symmetry and “the primary gaze” (the ability to look straight ahead). This means that in a normal social situation where you are sitting in front of someone and having a conversation, your eye should look as symmetric as possible. It is also common for people who have had surgery performed at a young age to need additional surgery during the course of their lifetime to manage aging changes over time.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Compromise

+1

Unfortunately, this is a compromise that has to be made with congenital ptosis/jaw wink. In order to raise the eyelid, the levator muscle was tightened. This will make the eyelid more difficult to close and it will lag behind when looking down.

This can be released, but it will leave your eyelid droopy again.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Jaw Wink Syndrome

+1

Sorry to hear about your present condition.  A thorough consultation with a Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon or an Occuloplastic Surgeon is in order here.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon