Why Do Lenses Have to Be Removed if No Latisse Gets into Eye?

I don't understand why lenses need to be removed at all, as long as none of the Latisse gets into the eye and subsequently onto the lense. i have soft disposable contacts and if i keep removing them they will get damaged and the idea of having 2-3 week wearable disposable lenses (without having to remove them other than dispose of them) cancels out the whole idea of having them. I have been using Latisse for 2 weeks and have not removed them even once. I never got any in my eye when applying

Removing Lenses Before Latisse

+1

Removing your contact lenses before applying Latisse is a precautionary measure. Removing them ensures that none of the product will get on your lens or the eye. Remove them before treatment, and put them back in 15 minutes after. 

Medicolegal

+1

This instruction was placed for medicolegal reasons. More than likely, you will be fine if you don't remove your contact lenses...but just in case, you do accidentally cause a problem, then the company is "covered"

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse and contact lenses

+1

Latisse is a excellent product to extend the growing phase of eyelashes so they can lengthen. There is no reason for contact lens wearers to not use Latisse. The preservative in Latisse can damage soft contact lenses so you should remove your lenses to protect them.  After 15 minutes, you can reinsert your contact lenses but most people don't because Latisse is used before bed.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Contact lenses and Latisse

+1

With anything near the eyes, contacts should be removed before application. In all honesty, if you read anything about makeup even those products say to remove contacts before use. This is per the FDA. The reason is that, just in case, if anything were to get into the eye, you could potentially trap it on the eyeball itself by having the contact there. If you are comfortable not removing your contacts and making sure to keep the Latisse only on the outside of the lid, which is really where it's supposed to be, then you will be fine.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD