Is It Possible to Lengthen the Chin and Widening It with Chin Implant? (photo)

I am wondering if I could avoid Genioplasty and just get it done with a chin implant. How far can I go with a chin implant? I am looking for a slightly wider and longer chin. I believe widening and lengthening it by 5mm would be sufficient. How much would it cost? Thanks!

Chin implant or genioplasty

+1

Chin implants work great for people with mild to medium cases of microgenia (weak chin).  More severe cases need surgery, with a genioplasty.  

Looking at your photo, I think you fall into the genioplasty surgery category, but an in-person evaluation would be required.  I don't believe that a chin implant, even a large one, would bring your chin out to the desired position.

Go see a craniofacial-trained PS for further evaluation.

Implant versus genioplasty

+1

If at all possible a simple implant under local anesthesia is preferable to a genioplasty. The reasoning is simple...always do the easiest, safest and least expensive surgery that will get you the result you are looking for. If a genioplasty is indicated then by all means do it as it is appropriate. However looking at the pictures above and with 25 years experience I can say that a simple implant proceedure will get you the look you are after. There are many implants to choose from that can add both projection and width as needed

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treament Options for Severe Chin Deficiency

+1

Your chin/lower jaw deficiency is so significant (2.5 cm or more), that trying to improve it with an implant alone will leave you likely disappointed. It will be better but short of your desir6ed goal. Stock implants can provide nor more than about 10mms of horizontal projection, so about halfway between where you are now and an ideal position. Your best choice is a sliding genioplasty combined with a chin implant which will get you 15 to 20mm of horizontal projection.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Wider and longer chin

+1

The size and shape of the chosen implant would determine the outcome of your result. The improvements you seek should be attainable. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

From your photos, it does appear that you would be a good candidate for a chin augmentation with an implant and possibly liposuction of the neck.  There are many different shapes and sizes of chin implants that can used.  I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to get more detailed information and you would be able to choose from a variety of implants to help achieve your desired goal.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon