Possible to Lengthen the Nose to Reduce Distance Between Nose and Upper Lip?

I have a short nose, which accentuates my long philtrum. I'm wondering if it's possible to increase the length of the nose and thereby close the gap to a certain degree between my nose and upper lip. (just as side note, my nose isn't turned up... just short)

Nose can be lengthened with rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to lengthen the nose and shorten the upper lip with rhinoplasty surgical techniques such as extended spreader grafts, trimming back the anterior portion of the columella, and sometimes adding cartilage dorsal grafts to push the tip down.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Lengthening the Nose

+1

First, to answer your question the nose can be lengthened. However, other anatomical features should be evaluated to determine if that is the best way to shorten the upper lip or provide the illusiion of shortening the lip.  Where is the columella/lip junction located, where do the ala (lateral nostrils) attach to the upper lip, and what is the contour (fullness or pout) of the upper lip? Careful evaluation by an experienced aesthetic surgeon is necessary.

Lengthening the nose

+1

Yes, but you need to seek at least 3 in person evaluations from rhinoplasty docs. Discuss the issue in detail or until you fully understand the plan for your surgery.

From MIAMI DR. B

Yes, lengthening the nose is possible by an experienced surgeon.

+1

You should see a revision rhinoplasty specialist because we do these frequently to patients who have had their nose shortened too much.

Lengthening the nose.

+1

Hi,

If your tip is over projected, then you may be able to lengthen your nose with cartilage grafts. However, your tip will be deprojected and de- rotated.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Lengthening the nose.

+1

As per the other respondents, making the nose longer is difficult and unpredictable.  What you may want to consider, depending on your anatomy, is an upper lip shortening procedure, which may balance the nose and upper lip better and is more predictable.  The scar usually heals well along the lower creases of your nostrils.

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Noses can be lengthened as well as shortened with rhinoplasty

+1

It is a common misconception that rhinoplasty is just a reduction operation. Frequently we add to noses in certain areas to maintain strength and balance. For a number of patients, lengthening short upturned noses is the primary goal. This is done by using grafts of your own cartilage. This is a more difficult rhinoplasty so seek out a specialist if your nose requires lengthening.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_rhinoplasty.html

Nasal lenghtening is difficult to achieve with Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

It sounds from your description that the distance from the bottom of your nose to the top of your lip is larger than you'd like; and your tip isn't over-rotated. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any reliable ways to address this concern with surgery. If you had a very deflated upper lip, a well-performed lip-lift surgery could shorten your philtrum and expose more upper lip.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon