Can Lejour Technique Be Done Under Local Anesthesia?

I need breast lift revision performed on one breast only. Can the Lejour technique be performed under local anesthesia in a doctor's office?

There is a HUGE difference between asking if something CAN be done and whether it is in your best interests...

+2

Hi there-

Can you walk across a busy interstate? Probably... But most would agree that it isn't in your best interests to try....

This is no different. Unfortunately, there are many, many things being tried by "practitioners" of plastic surgery that are not (in my opinion) in the best interests of the patient.

It is important to ask yourself- is the doctor recommending this because it is really better for me? Or is it just better for him?

No respectable, reputable, well-trained plastic surgeon I know would recommend you having a breast lift (of any kind) under local anesthesia.

In fact, you should know that, at least in my region, more women have died over the past few years as a result of local anesthesia than from general or regional anesthesia.

Plastic Surgery under local anesthesia

+2

Your question is a sensible one, but I would not recommend having a procedure like a breast lift done under local anesthesia.  While it is theoretically possible, I think it would be uncomfortable for you to have the local anesthesia administered to that degree.  Additionally, I would very careful about where you have such a procedure done.  A regular office is not a safe environment for such a procedure, and I would strongly recommend that you have your surgery performed in a certified surgery center environment.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift under local anesthesia

+2

I would not recommend a full breast lift revision under local anesthesia.  The amount of anesthesia which you would need to be comfortable would not be safe to administer.  I suggest sedation at the very least, and preferably general anesthesia, for both your safety and comfort.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Lejour under local anesthesia

+1

I do Lejour lift/reductions all the time and while I suppose they can be done under local technically, I think it woudl be too  uncomfortable for the patient.   If my patient is uncomfortable during surgery, I get uncomfortable and I can not produce my best work because I am worrying about them.  I suggest you have deep sedation or general.

Plastic Surgery under local anesthesia

+1

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction under Local Anesthesia

+1

A lot of operations CAN be done under local anesthesia in a doctor's office. This does not mean that they SHOULD be done this way or that you may be a candidate for an operation done under local anesthesia.

For your own safety, do NOT have an operation in a facility which is not AAAASF certified (look this up) or Medicare certified. Doing otherwise risks serious complications.  A lot of people need supplementation of the local anesthesia with either oral (pill) or intravenous sedation. It is safer to have an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist supervising your sedation than expecting the surgeon to both do the surgery and monitor your anesthesia. Finally, some patients do not do well feeling the surgery regardless of the fact that there is no real pain. If you are anxious, do not have surgery under local anesthesia. There is no shame in knowing your limitations.

Always have a board certified anesthesiologist for breast lift.

+1

Hi.

A Lejour breast lift can be done under local anesthesia in a doctor's office if

1)  there is a board certified anesthesiologist giving you sedation, and

2)  your plastic surgeon's office operating room is accredited.

These are mandatory safety requirements.  Doing breast lift in New York City, we use light general anesthesia, but local is fine,  if you stick to the rules above.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Lift Revision Under Local

+1

It depends on the revision.  I use the LeJour technique, and the most common issues are excess skin at the bottom of the breast or slight nipple-areola differences.  These types of things could easily be done under local anesthesia.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS