Is Calf Reduction Surgery Safe?

i heard about this, whats the procedure? is it safe and how painful is it? i heard some people also get liposucton done on the calves again how safe is it, how painful and is it worth it? whats the best methods for reducing leg calves? i heard calf reduction can be very dangerous if done wrong yet i want this badly but i don't know what type of surgery i need and how effective it'll be so plz help, thx

Another predatory surgical procedure to make women feel self-conscious.

+3

Unfortunately, cosmetic surgery is a business.  This means that we surgeons need to drum up business.  One way to do that is to pick on people.  It makes you feel bad and motivates you to have surgery.  Do you really need calf reduction surgery?  I have not done a personal assessment of your concerns so it is hard to answer this question.  Some calves do hold localized fat and might benefit from local liposuction.  Is this procedures risky?  It is less forgiving than say liposuction of the thighs.  This is also true for the so-called cankle.  It can be a very visible area as women tend to show their calves.  I am not in favor of injecting the calf with BOTOX to cause muscle atrophy.  My message to you would be to learn to love your big calf.  If that does not work, find a plastic surgeon who has their head screwed on straight in your area to discuss this type of focal liposuction with.

Calf reduction surgery is safe

+1

Calf reduction can be safe and effective. Many options exist: 1. liposuction 2. gastrocnemius muscle resection 3. radio frequency nerve ablation (similar to no-tox for the face) 4. gastrocnemius neurectomy. Non-surgical options also exist - botox calf injections ( works just as well as botox for facial slimming). Each procedure has its benefits and drawbacks, with gastrocnemius muscle resection having the greatest morbidity and complications. If interested, you should consult a plastic surgeon and see which option is best and safest for you. 

Perry Liu, MD

Is calf reduction surgery safe?

+1

Reducting the size of ankles (commonly referred to as "cankles") is a safe and effective procedure if done with liposuction by a board certified plastic surgeon. While all surgeries carry some element of risk, this procedure is certainly one of the safest and results are usually wonderful.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Calf reduction

+1

Llposuction calf reduction is possible but the results depend on the quantity of fat and the quality of the skin. Calf reduction via muscle resection is more commonly performed in the Pacific Rim but not is not popular in the USA.

Calf reduction surgery

+1

If you are asking about liposuction, this is possible.  I would not recommend any other procedue to debulk the calf muscles.

Liposuction of the calves is a safe procedure

+1

Liposuction of the calve and ankle area is not an uncommon procedure and when performed by a board certified Plastic surgeon is very safe.  I have not seen any complications from this procedure.  It can be done for asymmetry or as a cosmetic procedure for enlarged calves.   It will also help for those who have difficulty fitting into certain types of footwear such as ski boots.  Find someone who has experience with the procedure.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Calf Reduction Sugery

+1

Calf reduction surgery is not as common as breast implants or tummy tucks.  However, there are some patients that would benefit from liposuction of the lower legs / calves if they are good candidates.  Without pictures or examining you, it is impossible to know if you are a good candidate.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Calf reduction surgery

+1

Surgery below the knee can have much higher risks, complications, and unsatisfactory results. That is why it is not a common part of most plastic surgical practices. I have no personal experience, however, I would be extremely wary, as this area is very difficult to treat with reductional surgery. 

Hayley Brown, MD