Left Saline Breast Implant: Shooting Pain when Breathing, Lump in Center of Breast. What Does This Mean?

I have saline implants that are appraoching 8 yrs old. I have a lump in the same place on each implant: directly in the center of each breast. When I asked surgeon about this several years ago, he said that scar tissue had likely formed around the port used to fill up the implants during surgery. About 2 yrs ago I stared feeling pain when breathing or lying on my left side.This lasts for a few days then goes away, comes back every 8wks. I can feel the lump when I touch it but it is not visible.

Breast Pain

+1

If  the lumps are symmetrical and in center of breasts, you may well be feeling the valve of the underlying  implants. The may be palpable but rarely do they cause pain . I would recommend a mammogram and physical exam to help determine the cause of your discomfort.

Pain after saline augmentation

+1

Saline implants stretch over time, as does breast skin and breast tissue.  If you have some scar trapped in the filler port it may be pulling on you in a way that irritates a local nerve.  Massaging the area may help, but you probably will require a surgical release.  if you are going back to the OR consider exchanging the saline implants for silicone: they are softer, more natural, and will last forever.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

+1

Best to obtain a mammogram/ultrasound of the breasts, and a chest X-ray to try to determine the cause of these issues. Also in person examination could be of help.