My Left Nostril is Now Lower Than the Right One Due to Grafting

I had rhinoplasty in mide Feb of 2010. I had my deviated septum fixed and also a bit of tip work as well as having my left nostril grafted to meet the right. It has been over 10 months now and although I do see improvement (minimal) my left nostril is now lower than my right and looks bigger now. It is because the left side was grafted and had the septum on that site that the nose is still swollen ? Will the left nostril eventually meet the right? It bothers me and I am considering a revision?

Revision Rhinoplasty for Nostril Assymetry

+2
These nostril adjustment procedures can be quite tricky, and at 10 months there is unlikely to be much more of a difference. I’d suggest speaking with your surgeon and/or discussing your goals with another surgeon experienced in these refined techniques.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Nasal Asymmetry

+1

Brooke: It is difficult to answer your question without examining you nose or at least seeing pictures. You are in my community, so I'd be happy to see you.  If you prefer, send pictures. 10 months after surgery, it is appropriate to consider your options. 

A bit early to tell..

+1

There will still be healing going on throughout the first 12 months after rhinoplasty. See your surgeon for advice and expectations. Based on your description however, there may have been a significant amount of twisting and asymmetry encountered in surgery. Best to give it some more time. - Dr. G

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Left Nostril is Lower Than the Right One Due to Grafting

+1

It would be best to speak with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. You are still experiencing some residual swelling after 10 months. He/she may be able to give you the best advice regarding your issue at this time. If you are still not satisfied with your nose following that point, please feel free to send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. My contact information is listed in my profile. Thank you, and good luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revison Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Brooke,

At this point it is reasonable to consider revision rhinoplasty for the asymmetry of your nostrils.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  You can also use the time before any revision surgery to have multiple consults for other opinions.  Certainly if you feel comfortable with your surgeon, have your revision surgery there as he/she knows exactly what was done at your original surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nostril Asymmetry with Deviated Septum

+1

Hi Brooke C,

As other plastic surgeons, one generally should wait one year to allow rhinoplasty swelling to settle down. A deviated septum may contribute to nostril or tip asymmetry. Cartilage grafts could help treat the nostrils. Without a comprehensive evaluation, let alone seeing several photographs at various angle, a plastic surgeon cannot provide any options for you. Revision rhinoplasty surgery may or may not be appropriate. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetries After Alar Rim Grafts

+1

Pre and Postoperative photos would be the key to evaluating your concerns.  Also, the specific type of graft used would also help in diagnosis.  I am assuming it was an alar rim graft fashioned from septal cartilage.  In any event, it will take up to one year for all swelling to resolve.  It will also take a year for the "shrink wrap" effect of scar tissue formation under the nasal skin and soft tissue to truly show what the final appearance of your nose will be.  You might require a revision, but this would have to be determined at one year postoperatively.  Send me your pics if you would like....Best....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Left Nostril is Now Lower Than the Right One Due to Grafting

+1

Really need posted photos to even attempt to answer this question. Seek another opinion in person. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Nostril asymmetry

+1

Again, photos woudl be nice. Remember there is always asymmetry in every body part.  Hard to say without an exam or photos.

Nostril asymmetry after rhinoplasty.

+1

You need to wait at least 1 year for the swelling to go down but the change will probably be minimal. It is difficult to say if the graft is doing this without seeing it. Send me photos and I can give you a better answer.