Can This Left Eye Be Fixed? (photo)

He had an eye injury a few years ago and as a result the left eye became bigger. 1. Please explain to me why and how the eye is bigger. 2. Can it be fix? The same thing happened to me as a child. But my case isn't as severe.

Improved photos

+1

The photos are quite compressed and difficult to see great detail, but as others have noted it really depends on which eye/eye socket was traumatized. If it was the right eye, then the right eye is sunken in and giving the appearance that the left eye is bigger.

If the left eye was traumatized, then the trauma likely is a coincidence that has nothing to do with the largeness of the left eye. There is something that may be pushing the left eye forward, which could be related to a variety of medical conditions.

In either scenario, you need evaluation by an Oculoplastics/Orbital surgeon with a CT scan of the eye sockets [orbits]
Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Left Eye be Fixed?

+1

It is important to know which eye was injured.  In looking at your photos it appears that you have ptosis (sagging) of the right upper eyelid.  You also appear to have enophthalmos (sinking in) of the right eye.  My suspicion is that you have an untreated right eye socket fracture.  You should follow up with a plastic surgeon who is capable with dealing with secondary orbital deformities.  You would most likely require a CT scan of your orbits to evaluate the contour and volume of the orbits.

Michael Sundine, MD

Asymmetic eyes after injury

+1

Which eye had the injury?  If the right side had the injury, it may caused right sided droopy eyelid which causes the other side upper eyelid to raise (called Hering phenomenon).  If the left side was the injured eye, then it is a different story.  Obtain a complete oculoplastic exam from an oculoplastic surgeon for proper diagnosis and treatment options.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye Injury Resulting Larger Left Eye

+1

In my estimation your left eye appears larger because the injury to the left eye area may have resulted in a reduction in the size of the boney pocket that protects the eye.  This results in a forward projection of the globe with a secondary widening of the eyelids.  The easiest treatment would be to lift the upper eyelid of the right eye to make them more symmetrical. A consultation with a qualified physician with a detailed examination would be able to shed more light on your concerns.

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Raised upper eyelid

+1

You need to be examined face to face to know for sure but it looks like the right upper eyelid is drooping and the left upper eyelid is being raised to compensate. Your body is really trying to raise the right one but in doing so affects the left to a greater degree.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD