Left Butt Cheek Bigger Than the Right?

I am a 33yr old women with the left butt cheek bigger than the right. It is very noticeable now and it restricts me from wearing pants/jeans becuase they don't fit right. My left butt cheek is more round and it hangs down longer. Is there anything I can do, that will even my butt out, or is surgery my only option? And, if surgery is my only option, will that also change as years go by, because I will always have one leg longer than the other, that causes one to be more dominant?

Buttock asymmetry

+2

Although a photo would be extremely helpful, yes it is possible to correct or at least significantly improve your buttock asymmetry.  Typically it is more effective to try to augment the smaller side than to reduce the lager side.  The two best and only safe and reliable ways to accomplish this is by either autologous (using your own) fat transfer or with an implant.

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred.  This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflamation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Lefty butt cheek is larger than the right one. Can this be corrected?

+2

It is not too uncommon to see butt asymmetry. We have operated on quite of few of these type of buttocks. We have to augment the deficient buttock with fat. At times there may be a need for a  second grafting. But the results are good and patients are quite satisfied with their more symmetrical appearance.

George Lefkovits, MD

Asymmetrical buttocks...

+1

Asymmetry is more common than you think and can occur in any body part. Unfortunately if there is a dramatic difference then surgery is usually required. There are two options: buttock implants and a Brazilian Butt Lift. The implant is a solid silicone substance that will be inserted into the smaller side to make them even. A Brazilian butt lift is also know as a sculpting and fat injection procedure. It involves liposuction from one part of your body, and then adding the fat to the buttocks in areas that are needed.  Both procedures are effective, but it is vital that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a full exam and discussion of the options.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Different proportions of the buttocks

+1

Sounds like you have some degree of hemi hypertrophy. I think if the ultimate goal is to have symmetry in clothing with everyhting covered then reducing the larger side or increasing volume to the smaller side will both work. Since there seems to be anatomic differences I doubt the two sides will ever be the same.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS