Can Left over Breast Tissue Grow Back?

I had gyno surgery for both sidesabout a year ago. Upon compression garmet removal, i noticed significant breast tissue had been left way off to the side of the nipple area. My surgeon indicated this was scar tissue. After a year now the one side with the left over tissue has increased in size and there is substantial fatty diposits around the nipple area. The question is...can this left over tissue cause redevelopment and regeneration of this tissue?

"Regrowth" after Gynecomastia Surgery?http://youtu.be/HGkTDGPjJzE

+1

Gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

In your case,  the increased size of the area treated may be related to an increased size of adipose tissue and/or breast tissue. Most commonly this is related to weight gain caused by  factors such as hormonal changes, the use of certain medications and/or the use of marijuana...

I would suggest follow-up with your plastic surgeon for a thorough history to account for any of the above factors. Physical examination will be important to determine diagnosis and best treatment plan.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_gynecomastia.htm

Does Male Breast Tissue Regrow After Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

The male breast has a component of gland and a component of fat.  At surgery both types of tissue are removed together.  It is important that thesurgeon not  remove too much tissue, or a caved-in hollow can be left under the areola and nipple. Some breast is left behind to have a normal appearance.  If you gain weight after surgery your result can get uneven because the remaining fat cells can enlarge.  If your gynecomastia is from medications or hormonal effects the glandular elements can continue to grow. If you are not satisfied check with your surgeon to see if a minor revision might give you the result you are hoping for.

Web reference: http://www.maryleepetersmd.com

Regrowth of gynecomastia

+1

Photos would be helpful in assessing your situation. Nevertheless, you can have regrowth of breast tissue as well as enlargement of fat for many reasons: hormonal, side effects from medications or drugs, weight gain, etc. The regrowth of breast tissue is not necessarily predictable.

You may want to consider discussing with your surgeon your concern about the appearance of the left breast and see what the recommendations are.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Gynecomastia and growth

+1

It is possible that after excision, you may see growth in the area. This can happen because of  several possiblities.  More commonly it is from weight gain that amplifies what was left, or possibly growth that was not complete before you ahd the original surgery.

Gynecomastia surgery

+1

Both breast reduction in females and gynecomastia excision in males can grow back. That can occur whether or not the appropriate amount of tissue is removed. It can be due to weight gain, hormone stimulation etc. Removing too much tissue to compensate for regrowth is not an option because regrowth does not occur in everyone and may not happen for some years after surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.