Left Breast is Shrinking 3 Months Post-Op Breast Augmentation

Hi there, I had my augmentation on January 18th of this year. I had saline under the muscle surgery. My left breast was slightly lower and slightly larger before my augmentation so my doctor tried to even things out by putting 20 cc more saline in my right breast. 570cc in my left and 590cc in my right to be exact.

As you can see from the pics things looked pretty even on surgery day but as time goes on it seems like my left breast is continually shrinking. PLEASE HELP!!!

Saline Breast Implant Leak - Beverly Hills

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

In review of your photographs, the findings are consistent with a slow-leak of your left implant. Outside of acute trauma, this generally occurs secondary to a defective valve. Most implant manufacturers will replace faulty implants at no cost to the client. I recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Loss of size after breast augmentation

+1

Initially after breast augmentation surgery, you are swollen, making you larger that what you will be in the future.  As the swelling goes down, and your own breast tissue shrinks from the pressure of the implants, you get smaller. Those changes are generally symmetric and not limited to just one side.  Significant loss of size on one side after breast augmentation with saline implants is generally due to a leak in the implant which will eventually go completely flat.  Your photograph appears to be consistent with a leak on the left side. If you have Allergan or Mentor implants, you should receive a free implants and $1200 towards the cost of surgery to replace a ruptured implant; more if purchased an additional warranty.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Rupture

+1

I agree with your observation; it appears that your left breast is slowly becoming smaller than the right breast over time.

Because this is a gradual decrease in size and you have saline implants (making a breast implant rupture more noticible than if you had silicone implants) you most likely have a slowly leaking or deflated saline breast implant.  Saline implants rupture at about 1% per year; unfortunately you are one of those 1% this year.

Here's what to do next:

1.  Return to your plastic surgeon as soon as possible (you will want to have the implant replaced quickly to avoid shrinking of the breast implant pocket)

2.  Find the serial number and paperwork associated with your breast implants (the company may give you a replacement implant free of charge since you seem to have a malfunctioning implant).

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Breast Augmentation Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

Jaime Perez, MD

Implant deflation likely

+1

Implant deflation can result from rupture of the device or valve fauilure.  Rupture presents with a rapid deflation ove 1-2 days.  In your case it has been more insidious with likely a leak at the valve giving rise to a progressive but slow diminution of size.  Most major manufacutures have a warranty program inplace to assist in the cost of correction.  It might be a good time to review the paticulars of the warranty.  Good job with your photos it make it easier for us to offer advice.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Change in Breast Implant Size after Surgery

+1

Your pictures suggest a leaking saline implant. Suggest you see your plastic surgeon before the capsule contracts any further which may make revision and exchange slightly harder. I wixh you all the best in this undertaking. J. Vicente Poblete, MD, FACS, Avon Lake, OH

J. Vicente P. Poblete, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants leak

+1

Your implant is leaking. I would return to your plastic surgery so he can change it out. If you purchased the implants in the states then you should get a free implant and some money from the implant company.

David E. Kim, MD

Shrinking Breast After Augmentation

+1

Breasts that appear to be shrinking after augmentation are due to 2 factors:

1. The implant is leaking

2. The pocket is stretching and drooping so that the implant appears smaller.

In your case, I feel fairly certain that your implant is leaking. This is not an emergency, but the implant will need to be changed. If you have a Mentor or Natrelle implant, your warranty will help cover some of the expenses.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Breast augmentation

+1
A shrinking implant could be related to an implant leak or a perceived shrinkage because of a change in the implant position.

David L. Abramson, MD

Left implant shrinking 3 months after surgery.

+1
It's good that you showed the immediate post op picture. It shows that your implant is deflated on the left. You should see your doctor ASAP so that the implant can be exchanged before the pocket shrinks any more. This is due to a manufacturing defect or a problem during insertion in any case you should be able to replace the implant without too much exponce to you.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

+1

Appears to be a slowly leaking/deflating implant.  Although it is not dangerous, make sure to see your surgeon about this asap to get a replacement implant (typically provided free by the implant manufacturer). 

Ryan Stanton, MD