Does Left Breast Look Right to You? (photo)

I am 8 days post op from a breast lift surgery. Today was my first look after removing the surgical bra and bandages. My left breast doesn't look right to me and has a bit of a cone shape. The right side appears normal. This is definitely not what I expected. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I am trying to not freak out.

+2

It appears you have had vertical mastopexies.

One of the advantages of this procedure is that it cones the breast.

This coning is exaggerated at first and will settle down over a few months.

It is important to understand that you have actually had 2 different operations: one on the right breast and another on the left. This means that there is nearly always more postop swelling on one side than the other.

It is also possible that your left breast was larger preoperatively - I don't have preop photos.

I recommend you see your surgeon.

Good luck.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Does Left Breast Look Right to You?

+2

There is some asymmetry present and you should be checked to see if there is fluid or blood in the left breast or if it is just swelling. It is not unusual to have differential swelling in the breasts in the early post op days.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

?fluid in left breast.

+2

Although no one is perfectly symmetric, this difference is enough that a call to your surgeon and an office visit is appropriate. 

It is hard to evaluate results without preop photos, but unless the left breast was considerably larger than the right before surgery and this was not addressed, I would be suspicious of a fluid collection--blood or serum. Either, if present, will need to be addressed by your surgeon.

All the best. 

Asymmetry 8 days post breast lift. Is this normal?

+2

Thank you for the photo . A preop photo would've been helpful to answer this question. Although some asymmetry can exist pre and postop (remember, they are not twins, but sisters), you have significant asymmetry. Need to see you plastic surgeon to make sure you do not have a hematoma in the breast. Also, it seems to me that your areolae are placed too high, which over time will give you a bottomed out look. With vertical lifts, the nipple/areolar complex needs to be placed lower than with a wise pattern lift.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Postop breast asymmetry

+2
It could be asymmetrical swelling OR could represent a seroma or hematoma. Under those circumstances, you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for evaluation and potential treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Asymmetry After Surgery

+2

You are correct to be concerned. There is a significant asymmetry with the left breast. You should see your surgeon asap. This may be a hematoma or seroma and should be drained.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Asymmetry 1 week post breast lift

+2

It is not uncommon for one breast to swell more or look different than the other 8 days post breast lift.  I would recommend close follow up with your surgeon and an exam to make sure the swelling is appropriate for the procedure performed and that you don't have a fluid collection such as a seroma or hematoma.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Does Left Breast Look Right to You?

+2

I agree with Dr. Wallach.  There is a possibility that you have fluid or blood on the left side, especially if your breasts appeared symmetric in size before your surgery. Best to follow up ASAP with your doctor.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after a lift

+2

We needed to see preop photos too for the best answer but you are really asymmetric right now so I'd go right back to your surgeon and ask to be evaluated.  I would have expected better symmetry.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

+2

The breasts are certainly significantly different. Without seeing the preops it is difficult to say and certainly an exam is essential. The best thing to do is see your surgeon to make sure it is not blood or fluid.