Left Breast Higher and Firmer Than Right Breast 5 Weeks 2 Days Post Op?

I had 420cc High Profile saline implants under the muscle 5 wks 2 days ago (B cup before surgery hoping to acheivea full c after)and the left breast sits higher and is more firm than the right breast, the left breast is more resistant to my massages, I have my follow up this week with my surgeon just wanted some input in the mean time. also behind my areola incisions it is hard? Is that normal scar tissue? They have come a long way and continue to change I know its a long process just concerned

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although some anxiety is to be expected, I think that the degree of breast asymmetry that you are experiencing at this point is quite commonly seen. It is very likely that you will find that the breast  implants will contain to “settle” and soften over the course of the next many weeks to months.

The firmness that you feel below the incision lines is very likely scar tissue that also tends to soften with time ( over the course of the 1st year).

Of course, your plastic surgeon is in the best position to rule out complications and/or provide meaningful reassurance to you.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.

Its ok

+2

It is normal to be asymmetric 5 weeks out from surgery.  Hang in there and give it at least 3 months.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Breast Asymmetry after Implants

+2

At 5 weeks post-surgery, it is still too early to make conclusions about the final appearance of your breasts. I am a big fan of displacement massage. I would continue to concentrate your effort on the left breast and ignore the right breast for now. In your photos you can see that the left infra-mammary fold is slightly higher on the left than the right. Because of this, the left breast may feel more firm because the left pocket has less space than the right. This is probably why the left breast sits higher and looks fuller at the upper part of the breast mound, as you have observed. The hardness behind your areola is common especially with the periareolar approach. Massaging this area will also help to soften the scar tissue. It will take time, but things should improve. Hope this helps! If you still have concerns, please discuss them with your plastic surgeon at your next follow up appointment.

Thanks for your questions and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Higher breast implant may be early capsular contraction

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. I do see the right breast appears lower than the left but my question is since the nipple also looks lower did you have an asymmetry before your breast augmentation? On the other hand if the left breast is feeling firm and the implant does not move properly and you may be developing a capsule on your left side. Be Sure to Express Your Concerns to Your Plastic Surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry at 5 Weeks

+1

Breast asymmetry at 5 weeks may resolve by 3 or 6 months.  It is also important to talk with the plastic surgeon about preoperative asymmetry, which is almost always a contributing factor.  In addition, hardness around the incision at 5 weeks is the norm, and scars will soften over the course of a year.

Left Implant higher than right 5 weeks post surgery

+1

You might have developed capsule that is slightly tighter on the left pushing the implant up.These usually settle down in 3 -4 months. If you have not started already your surgeon will advise you implant massaging techniques to help drop the implants. Both breasts look streched now. In a few weeks your muscle will accommodate them better. 

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Post op

+1

Your post operative photos look good. The hardness that you feel is probably the feel of the high profile saline implants.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS