6 Weeks Post-Op Breast Implants, Will my Left Breast Drop on Its Own? (Photo)

Im 6 weeks post op from a breast enlargement and my left breast is not dropping and a different shape . I notied 3 hours after the op that it was different eg alot more swollen and painfull but my surgeon didnt seen worried . im wondering if it will ever drop noe as i thought it would have by now

It takes about three to four months

+1
It generally takes about three to four months for implants to drop, and this can happen faster in one breast than the other. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing, so you don't have to worry about not having "enough skin". However, you may get stretch marks if you don't have a lot of your own natural breast tissue. It also depends on the quality of your skin - if it's supple and elastic, then you probably won't develop as many.

Tissue expansion allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Breast Asymmetry?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes,  I have seen implants “drop” for up to 12 months (or more)  after breast augmentation surgery.  I asked my patients to “pull up on the skin and push down on the implant”  on the side that is slower to settle.  Although it is controversial I think that implant massage and displacement exercises are helpful in keeping the  breasts soft in general.

Continue to follow up your plastic surgeon and make sure you  are not experiencing encapsulation which may result in firmness of the breast  and/or implant malposition.

Breast Augmentation healing and implant position

+1

implants can change position over 2-3 month .  they can drop enough or too far.

massage, straps, bras  are all helpful in obtaining good position and healing

Breast Implant Asymmetry and Whether Further Implant Settling Will Occur

+1

An apparent highly positioned breast implant may eventually drop and I would not rule it out until three months after surgery. At six weeks, however, it is not likely to change but I would still give it the full three months after surgery to be sure. I would also go back and check with your surgeon and review your before surgery pictures. The result may be a reflection of some pre-existing asymmetry which could factor in as to how a revision is done if you do not have any further implant position change.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

At 6 weeks based upon your so kindly posted photo I doubt it will "drop". But over the internet and not seeing before photos limits our advise. Seek in person second opinions. 

Answer to RealSelf.com Breast asymmetry question

+1

Clare-

At 6 weeks after breast augmentation it is too early to say whether or not your higher breast will "drop" to an acceptable degree.  You can expect some changes to occur for at least 4 months after surgery, sometimes longer.  It would also be helpful to see what your breasts looked like before surgery.  Many patients do not appreciate asymmetry before surgery, only afterward.  If one breasts was somewhat higher than the other before surgery, it still will be.  For now, I would be patient and continue with breast massage.  If problems persist you may need a revision, but don't move too quickly.  Warm Regards.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon